Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1.5yr grass fed angus-charlais steer that a few months ago really started to get skinny. I can see his ribs. His mom is fine, and I recently got another 8 month steer that’s even got more meat on his bones than the steer in question.

I’ve recently wormed him and am making sure he gets enough hay. Is there anything else I should be doing? Any diseases to look for(google showed a bunch of irrelevant results)?

Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Don't know what wormer you used, a good pour-on? For starters, I would ask the vet about possibly testing for Johnes. The vet might have ideas about testing for other things as well. I would also consider some sort of grain supplement, starting slowing and gradually increasing, along with an inexhaustible supply of good hay. Hope this helps and the steer can improve!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!

I was thinking about adding grain too. Would it make sense (and be okay) to worm twice, a few weeks apart? I used a pour on wormer.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,329 Posts
Yes. Worm TWICE at least ten days apart to get the next generation of parasites.

Do not start grain if he is scouring.

You might start supplemental feeding a senior horse feed. Easily digested. Start with 1 cup per day. Slowly increase.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alice, what you said lines up w what I’ve read and done for chickens and pigs. It makes sense to me that it would be for cows too. But I can’t find that anywhere.

Somewhere said ivermectin stays in their bloodstream for 41 days, but I’m not sure of the validity of that claim.

Still, I have no problem doing another application, especially since there was 0% chance of rain the day I applied it, but a rain shower came through a few hours after worming. Do I wait 10 days? Your post wasn’t quite clear on the days between wormings. Thank you!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,329 Posts
If it has been over 10 days, treat again. Wait ten days. Take fresh poop to vet for fecal test. Treat again, based on sample results.

In the future, always treat twice, ten days apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts