Skinny piglet

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Rob30, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

My sow just farrowed 12 piglets 5 days ago. One pilet is getting skinny, while the rest are fattening up. Any ideas on what I should do? He looks to be feeding but he chooses the rear bottm nipple on the sow. I think she is done feeding by the time he starts. I think I will try supplimenting with milk while I am in the barn feeding my calves and kids. I have been told to add egg to the milk. Anyone try this?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

you ever heard the expression "sucking hind teat"? That area often does not have much milk. The pigs always use the same teat and that pig is slowing starving. You are going to have to supplement feed him or move him to another sow.

3. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Hi .. when I was raising them...I would take a "runt" and put it on a sow that was farrowing that didn't have quite so many pigs. If that wasn't possible..I put them in a separate little pen and fed them. Seemed to be alot better if there was more than one at a time getting raised that way though.

Best of luck..LOL..I had to take a kitty in that was the runt out of five..he's still small..but he is thriving now.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Your cat had five kittens and one was a runt? Wow, my cousins cat most be a cat producing miricle, she is a TINY little cat, and she had EIGHT kittens and only ONE was a runt, and not by much, and all but two were boys. By the was, back on track, yeah, I think that it would be best to either move him to another mama or bottle feed him. Good Luck, bye.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

each teat is connected to its own mammary gland. The other teats being suckled will not cause the last to go dry. Thats likely simply an underdeveloped mammary, and the piglet isn't getting as much as the others, ie assuming other piglets aren't sucking it dry first

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

For people wanting to keep a gilt for breeding they should check the underline of the gilt. Always count the teats. 14 should be the minimum with 16 preferred.

7. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

We have had a couple of baby's do that. I hit them with penicillin, 1cc IM for about 4 days and that always seems to bring them out. We also order bluelyte from PBS livestock supply...a pig electrolyte for the baby pig waters.

8. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

You can separate the piglet and feed a baby granule feed. They can start eating this at a few days old. We always separated to feed but then put the baby back with the rest for comfort. The baby feed should be abailable at any feed store. You could also add whey to the feed or water. We have had great results feeding whey to all animals. Sick baby animals always worry you, they can't tell you what is wrong. Good luck

9. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

We started supplimenting with a bottle for about a week. Now he's doing fine, but noticably smaller. They are all growing fast.