skinny goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by steff bugielski, Aug 30, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I have two young does that are real skinny. I took a fecal sample to the vet and he said it was tapeworms. You can actually see small segments in the sample. So I wormed with a specific to tapeworms, but they are still real skinny. Their gums are pale even though they eat alot. I am sure they will pass the worms and get better I just wish I could do something to help. Is there anything you would recomend for the anemia or should I let the dewormer take its course. How long should it take?
    Steff

2. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

What were they wormed with?

Ruth

3. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Are you giving minerals with iron? They are likely deficient. Also, have your vet do another fecal soon to make sure the tapeworms are truly under control. Give them the best hay available and increase their grain a little. Extra Probios wouldn't hurt either. All that waste from the tapeworms may have affected their whole digestive system. If they were mine, I'd spoil them with some lemonade or molasses in their water too for extra energy.
    If their minerals don't have any iron, or not much, you could try giving them a vitamin chew or a children's vitamin.

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Hey just wanted to know, if a goat has tapeworms would you actually be able to see the wom come out of the goats butt, would it really look like a worm. Is it contagios and also what would you recommend to get rid of it, we might have a little girl that has them.