Skinning the cat

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BJ, Nov 17, 2004.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Anyone have any idea what kind of a predator would pull the skin off a cat. Every once in a while we find barn cats that have some of the hindquarter skin gone. This happens to young & old cats & kittens. It's nasty! We've got a big stray cat on our property right now that is missing the hide off one of his hind legs...he is in obvious missery but we can't catch him. Don't know if opossum or skunk tortures their prey like this...bobcat perhaps?

2. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

I have no idea about whats causing the problem but I think that you had probally shot the wounded stray if as you said it is in obvious misery :( Good luck this sounds like a bummer of a problem for sure.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Coon will skin an animal alive thru a cage. I am not sure what could do it to a healthy cat. Could you possibly have a dog in the barn with them that they trust?

4. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

An abcessed cat bite wound will end up with a lot of skin sloughing off. When the pus builds up in the abscess, the skin above it dies, falls off, and ends up exposing an area of 1 to 3 inches in diameter of muscle and tissue. If you have a population of feral cats with more than one tom, the cats could be injuring themselves by fighting.

5. Emily Nouvertne

Emily Nouvertne Well-Known Member

I had a cat messing with a birdhouse on a barbed wire fence post and he lost his balance and fell into the fence. Caught himself pretty bad. I went out to "help" him with leather gloves and he ended up with a huge gash from his belly down one whole leg. I couldn't "find" the skin to try to stitch him up but when he got to the vet, it had retracted, but it was there so the doc said he got out the "Singer" and stitched him all up. Non the worst for wear. He still doesn't like that area of his belly touched.

6. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Well it's very likely that the male feral cats are fighting for sure and that would explain the damage to older cats. We do occasionally find young kittens who small bodies have been skinned. What a horrible death! We did find a bobcat in the barn once...but I would think a bobcat would just eat the whole thing. This is a large wood 2 story barn...so there are from time to time various animals residing in it. Not really a very safe place for the cats anymore--something evil is living there. Guess we could put out a tender trap and see what we catch.

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I always pull the whole Hide off :eek: It realy is good for lots of things. :confused: :haha:

big rockpile

8. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

You are a sick puppy...and scarry. Glad your not my neighbor. :(

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

big rockpile

I love cats....but can't resist your irrevelant humor, either!

10. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

All kidding aside, if you are finding skinned kittens that haven't been chewed on, and aren't showing other major injuries, then a human could be responsible.

11. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Irreverent, too. Big Rockpile is far too cuddly to mean any harm!