Skin wound on udder: have I done all I need to do?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by frazzlehead, Sep 26, 2006.

1. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

I have a newly acquired 'senior citizen ewe' (she has come to my place as a retirement home, I have lots of grass for her to eat and some other sheep to keep her company and the kids who cared for her before and love her too much to see her go to the butcher can come visit any time).

Anyway, she somehow scraped (I presume, that's what it looks like) her udder on something very nasty - she's got a round spot about an inch or so in diameter on the back/left side of the udder where the surface skin is all scraped off. It looks like a really badly skinned knee, but quite deep - the edges seem almost "raised" (or, more accurately, like the wound is a bit of a cavity in the skin, maybe 2-3 mm deep). I'm guessing she got tangled up on a fallen branch of some kind and got skinned pulling loose.

It's not bleeding, although it looks like it might've been weeping a little ... I put a hefty coating of aloe gel on it (pure aloe, I checked the label) last night and again this morning - it seems to have kind of scabbed over a little and I think it's going to be all right. Doesn't feel hot or anything, like it would if it were infected.

Anything else I should do?

Oh, while we're talking about this senior sheep - she's 7 ... what's the average lifespan? She walks like she's got a bit of arthritis, but she seems pretty happy in general.

Thanks sheep experts!

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Id clean it with peroxide and then use Neosporin or Nitrofurazone. Aloe will sooth it but wont kill germs. It will probably be fine though. Animals are tough

3. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

We have a Polypay ewe, Peanut, that turned 8 this March. We only breed her once a year but she has given us 17 lambs in 8 years. But as long as she is healthy I will continue to allow her to lamb. She is one of my best mama ewes. She will live out her life on this farm and be buried here. She has earned it. I expect that she may live another 1-3 years.

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Has this ewe got any lumps? Nitrofurasone is not for meat producing animals but as this ewe is a pet it would be a good choice. Did you take her temp?

5. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

She seems to be doing fine, and the wound has scabbed over of it's own accord. I've pretty much just left her be, as she seemed unconcerned after the initial pain had eased up. There was no heat from the wound as it would be if infected, and she seemed otherwise well.

I'm glad to hear others have senior ewes breeding - if she takes this fall, we'll see what we get - I know she delivered triplets the last several seasons!

Thanks all!