skin so soft on animals?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I would post this over on the pig board, but I think I'd be laughed off! I have a serious mosquito problem. I know you can't spray dogs with DEET something about their pores and it burns them. Anyway, I was rubbing Rufus' belly the other day (the pig) and I noticed little bites on the soft skin under his legs. I also notice that there are mosquitos that fly around his eyes. There is no standing water in the yard. Their pig pool gets dumped regularly into a sunshine spot so the ground doesn't stay wet. There is nothing I can do to reduce the mosquito population. I've tried the little things they sale on the board (antimos) and that helps some, but it doesn't help when the pigs are walking around.

So, I wondered if I rubbed skin so soft under his legs if that would help>? I've heard that helps as a mosquito repellant. I just wonder if anyone's tried this. My little girl dog also has little bites all over her belly.

2. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know about pigs, but I use it on my goats & dogs. I would think it would be fine for them.

I use the skin so soft with sun screen. Only because that's what I have. One application seems to work for a few days. It does leave their fur a little sticky feeling. But it's much better than the flies swarming them!!

Tricia

3. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

My experience with Skin so soft with myself and German Shepherd was it doesn't last long enough in this humid, hot mosquito state. grin.

4. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

well I don't mind re-applying every few days because I try to "man handle" him every couple of days so he's used to me messing with his skin and ears. He thinks he's getting a super-duper belly rub, which he is, but I want him to feel comfortable with me when I need to clean his ears or give him a little skin work. He still won't let me trim his hooves, but I have a big slab of concrete I feed him on so they are fine. However, I've noticed that since I've incorporated messing with his feet into his man handling every couple of days, he doesn't mind anymore. While he's laying on his side and I'm rubbing his belly, I move his feet around and handle them and lift his leg up. He loves it now and doesn't run off screaming anymore. So, I think I'll try a little hoof trim one of these brave days. His hooves are decent with the concrete, but the little side things are a little long.