Skin problems

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by prairiegirl, Nov 28, 2006.

1. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, please, please - I hope someone can help.

Here's the situation in brief.........
    We have a 7 month old Jersey heifer. She got off to a rough start with respiratory problems. Vet had her on different antibiotics and vitamins. Eventually, vet said there was nothing more he could do. We are not ones to give up and we nursed her back to where she's gaining and progressing although a bit behind. Last summer with her sickness and drugs, she lost patches of hair. The skin became scaly, thick and leather-like. At times she would have open sores. That didn't get any worse once she started eating better and gaining and some of the hair even started growing back on her face. But, she still has many areas with no signs of hair growth. In the last few days, we've noticed it getting bad around her eyes. We are thinking it will only worsen with the harsh winter weather here in IN. The vets have been of no help. The old time farmers who raise, breed, and sell Jerseys have been no help. We know we are facing some big decisions with this calf, but we want to make the right decisions.

Anyone here have any thoughts.? Any suggestions?

Thanks bunches.

prairiegirl

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

A couple things come to mind. One is ring worm, but that usually goes away after a couple months. Scabies are another possibility, but that is usually near the tail head, and I think its also called elephant skin. Lice is another possiblity. If there were little pusstules, then I would say it would be staff infection. Try this, and use it every single day for a couple weeks. Use tea tree oil. We have a swiss, she came with a strange patch on her back. It went away after being treated with this stuff, and Viatmin E oil. Treat the sores with this stuff for a couple weeks, see if anything gets better. If not, start googling and compare any pictures you find to see what it might be.

Jeff

3. Tom McLaughlin

Tom McLaughlin Tom

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Regardless if it is mange, lice, etc, the pour on ivermectin will address the parasite problem. At this point you have little to lose and a lot to gain. go for it. If the problem is a health issue, I would approach it with good quality food rich in fat. Stale bread is a good source for an animal with skin conditions.

5. arcticow

arcticow Well-Known Member

Tea tree oil & vit.E can work wonders. I think I would try it w/ivermectin, but also try a small handful per day of Calf Manna in her grain. Every other day, treat her with a handful of hulled sunflower pieces or linseed meal. Just my ideas.

6. logdog365

logdog365 Active Member

there have been many articles written on the use of apple cider vinegar (the real stuff) in livestock husbandry for goats and cows and horses i have several books on the subject some are old, some newer. try looking online and see if you find anything on the subject ,it does wonders on haircoat and stamina and destressing and when an animal won't drink they will if water has vinegar in it ,the ideas and facts are documented and it is an old folks remedy for everthing from high blood pressure in humans to conception (fertility) success in cows and goats i will try to get you some info on links and sites good luck

7. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a long overdue "thank you" for all your advice. It was very helpful and we've learned alot throughout the lifetime of this calf. We ended up losing her last month. We really miss Minnie.

The weblink that Tom M. shared was very informative. Between the pictures and description, we believe it was mange that our calf had.
    One thing that has us puzzled is that we had been using the Ivermectin pour on. Would that help prevent mange?

Thanks so much for all your help. I've made notes of your suggestions for future use.

prairiegirl

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The proper doseage of ivermectin should have eliminated the mange.