skin problem

Discussion in 'Goats' started by shorty'smom, Feb 25, 2005.

1. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

I wonder what all you milking folk do to keep your hands from getting so chapped and cracked? I thought when I retired from nursing that my hand washing every 3 minutes was over. I was mistaken! I have tried all the stuff I used then, but the combination of cold with the wet is getting the better of me. help! My hands are bleeding someplace all the time from getting chapped. PS: I've tried bag balm and cotton gloves

2. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I don't milk goats, but i am constantly outside in the cold like you are. My hands suffer probally the same yours feel. I use the stuff called corn huskers lotion. it is a pretty good stuff i like it. It stings a little when it gets in the bleeding cracks. but it does the job all the same. it is a strong moisturizer, My boyfriend a hard a** framer gave in to this stuff and loves it.
    I hope this helps.
    Lyn

3. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

You might want to ask your doctor for a prescription strength moisturizer. Mine gave me a lotion with a natural exfoliant made from milk. It works wonders on dry skin.

4. lhopkins

lhopkins Member

One thing that we use is the "nipple cream" sold in the baby sections called Lansinoh. It is 100% Lanolin. It works great on hands, lips, whatever. Hubby uses it on his hands but wouldn't dare tell anyone what it is! :eek: It is rather pricey but a small amount goes a long way.

Leslie

5. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

My daughter has very sensitive skin that chaps super easy, along with all her other parts this time of year and we have found Gold Bond for Sensitive skin to be excellent! This stuff even cleared up her skin rashes that the Doc. couldn't help!

Jeannine

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

You might give Crisco a try. Yes, really. It can take a while to soak in, but it works great.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used shortening too!

My dad uses the liquid bandaid for the cracks and some Norwegian handcream.

Bag balm with rubber gloves works for me....try sleeping with them on.

8. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Two things that work really well are bacon grease and olive oil. Smear it on your hands really well and then put on some little cotton gloves and sleep with them on.

9. shorty'smom

I haven't tried sleeping in them yet. I guess I'll have to try it. Hey, thanks for all the input. I am getting so that I can't knit because my hands catch the yarn. That bugs me.

I've tried butter and crisco. I do get a lanolin cream and Dollar General sometime. Haven't tried cornhuskers. I do have a prescription for Lachydrin for my dry, cracked feet. It does get on my hands when I put it on my feet. I guess I'm just a dried out old lady. lol But I still like working with the goats, garden, chickens, etc...

10. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I hear ya with the rough hands! I have to wear latex gloves to warp my loom because my calluses catch on the yarns and snag them. I don't have any cracks, though (yet).

Somebody mentioned using olive oil. I just wanted to add that olive oil is great for getting Koppertox and Blukote off of your hands after treating the critters. It won't take the smell off, but at least your skin isn't an interesting shade of green or purple.

11. shorty'smom

I've even tried my "tried and true" Mary Kay solution and it didn't help that much. You use the "pink vaseline" night cream and smeat that all over your hands, then add the body buffing cream (like lava soap sort- of, but not soap) then you add the bath gel (I guess any bath gell may work) and then you smear that all over your hands for several minutes and rinse off well. Then you put the hand cream on. It usually makes hands feel like a baby's bottom, but not today. I think the quantity of barbed wire cuts, cuts from a sharp place on the tin shed or door, roughness from the hay, and chapping from the washing, and washing and washing (oh say, does anybody else have to change clothes and bathe as much as I do because of goats....and how does that bucky smell just penetrate everything?) Gee, and it's not even gardening season yet.

12. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I use my homemade goat milk lotion. :)

13. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Maybe the soap you're using is too strong? I know that Aveeno makes a colloidal oatmeal soap, and Cetaphil is specifically formulated to be very gentle to skin.

14. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I use something called "Nothing Like It". They sell it at one of my feed stores. It's pricey, about seven dollars for 8 oz., but seems to do a good job (when I remember to use it!).

Kathleen

15. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I agree with the "Cornhusker's Lotion"-
    I have been a potter for years (ceramics) and hands in clay for 14 hours a day is HELL on skin; the Cornhusker's is the only thing that at least kept my cuticles from peeling back and bleeding; and it's cheap!

My funny little ceramics instructor in college kept a bottle in every nook and cranny of our studio, and we all dipped in freely!

I've actually even tried it on a few slow-healing acne blemishes- works there, too....