Skin eating disease

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by drgnldy71, Oct 6, 2005.

1. drgnldy71

drgnldy71 Serene Dragon Farm

:help: We have 4 schools here in SE Oklahoma that have children with the skin eating disease strepticocci (sp?). Anyway the therory right now is they caught it from livestock at the Fair, either State or Local I don't know. Has anyone heard of this happening before? I'm supposed to go to a sale in a couple of weeks for some more goats & now I'm worried. Has anyone heard of this happening before??

2. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard of a flesh eating bacteria that have caused a problem the last few years I don't remember the bacteria's name.

3. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

A boy who is the same age as my son (now 18) had it when he was 4, they were never sure where he got it from. He had it on his buttocks, and they suspected it was possibly a toilet somewhere. It was quite painful for quite a while, he spent almost two weeks in the hospital.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

There are two forms of impetigo....strep and staph...my son had strep one on his face and became toxic from the meds after two rounds of it (sulpher based) then we used bactriban (rx) and it was gone in two weeks and lucky no scaring.

Wash Wash Wash....it is highly contagious

No other family member caught it so it can be contained if you are vigilant.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

The condition is known as necrotizing fasciitis. Here's what WebMD has to say about it:

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw140408.asp

What is necrotizing fasciitis?

Necrotizing fasciitis is a rare bacterial infection that can destroy skin and the soft tissues beneath it, including fat and the tissue covering the muscles (fascia). Because these tissues often die rapidly, a person with necrotizing fasciitis is sometimes said to be infected with "flesh-eating" bacteria, especially Streptococcus pyrogenes.

Necrotizing fasciitis is very rare but serious. Around 30% of those who develop necrotizing fasciitis die from the disease.1

Many people who get necrotizing fasciitis are in good health prior to the infection.2 Those at increased risk of developing the infection are people who:

* Have a weakened immune system or lack the proper antibodies to fight off the infection.
    * Have chronic health problems such as diabetes, cancer, or liver or kidney disease.
    * Have cuts or surgical wounds.
    * Recently had chickenpox or other viral infections that cause a rash.
    * Use steroid medications, which can lower the body's resistance to infection.

What causes necrotizing fasciitis?

Necrotizing fasciitis is caused by several kinds of bacteria. The most common cause is infection by a group A streptococcal (GAS) bacterium, most often Streptococcus pyrogenes, which also causes other common infections such as strep throat or impetigo. Usually the infections caused by these bacteria are mild. In rare cases, however, the bacteria produce poisons (toxins) that can damage the soft tissue below the skin and cause a more dangerous infection that spreads through the blood to the lungs and other organs. The disease also may be caused by Vibrio vulnificus. Infection with this bacterium can occur if wounds are exposed to ocean water or the drippings from raw saltwater fish, or through injuries from handling marine crustaceans such as crabs.

Another type of necrotizing fasciitis may be caused by bacteria found in the intestine; this type most often affects people with diabetes or peripheral arterial disease. Occasionally people who have gunshot injuries or tumors in the lower digestive tract develop necrotizing fasciitis.

A break in the skin allows bacteria to infect the soft tissue. In some cases, infection can also occur at the site of a muscle strain or bruise, even if there is no break in the skin. It may not be obvious where the infection started because the bacteria may travel through the bloodstream to other parts of the body.

The bacteria that produce the toxins that cause necrotizing fasciitis can be passed from person to person. However, a person who acquires the bacteria is unlikely to develop a severe infection unless he or she has an open wound, chickenpox, or an impaired immune system.

Haven't yet found any links between livestock and this bacterial infection, however. I'll keep looking...

Pony!

6. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Drgnldy,

Last year there was an outbreak of this. It was caused by animals infected at petting zoos at fairs in Florida. These animals are imported from other states to fairs etc. It is very serious don’t play with it. :nono:
    John#4

7. drgnldy71

Is there any way to tell if an animal is infected with it? I'm supposed to go to sale in a couple of weeks but now I'm real leary

8. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

Just don't touch the animals more than you need to, and wash your hands afterwards.

Are there certain species that are more likely to carry this than others? The reason I ask is most of the cases I have read about come from petting zoos, so I wonder which animals at the petting zoos are the carriers.

9. drgnldy71

They think one of the little boys that has it here locally might have caught it from a sheep at the fair. But again I don't know if it was county or state, a show lamb or a petting zoo type situation.

10. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

This has always been around, and always been a (faint) possibility. Now we've got more people, so it happens more often (like still very rarely, but occasionally), and we've got more scare-mongering sensationalist journalism, so when it does happen (once per hundred million people per year) you hear about it as a major sensation. Basic hygiene practices will keep it under control. Wash your hands; bandage and don't be careless with open wounds, scrapes or scratches.

11. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

My friend died from this last Jan.

The chemo she was receiving compromized her immune system---so when the bacteria settled in her surgery woumd from a month earlier----she was unable to fight it off.

It took only about 48 hours for the toxins to KILL her.

12. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I don't want to sound terse or uncaring but it is something that can happen but does happen rarely. I feel that if a person sat locked in their house to avoid all the things that could possibly happen to them, they'd live an awfully dull and lonely life and they'll still die, sooner or later. I strongly suggest you head for the livestock auction as you planned and wash your hands well with soap and water as needed and you'll very likely be fine. If it were me, I'd be more worried about the drive to the auction that the faint risk of catching something like this. The odds are far greater that you'll be involved in an accident than catching flesh eating disease.

13. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I think some of the cases in Florida last year occurred at the Strawberry Festival in Plant City Florida where they were petting or around animals....you might do a search at the Tampa Tribune or some other Florida newspapers and see what you come up with there.

I think caution and a lot of old-fashioned hand washing would likely help.

14. homemom1fl

homemom1fl Well-Known Member

The Strawberry Festival and FL State Fair problems were e. coli. The children became ill with very bad diarrehea. I don't remember and couldn't find just now any flesh eating kind of disease that occured here.

15. redroving

redroving Well-Known Member

The only reference to people getting something from sheep is this disease called Club Lamb Fungus. I read about it about 5 years ago and people I knew said that it happens often. I don't think this is what you are referring to but maybe?

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/animaldisease/g1075.htm

16. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I thought e coli was the stuff at the fairs also...
    FEB is more like a bumblefoot infection that eats away at your muscles. bleh

17. peanutgreen

peanutgreen Well-Known Member

My Dad had this a few years ago. It almost killed him; a few more hours and it would have. The doctors had to take all the skin and tissue off his lower leg between the knee and ankle. Then he had to have skin grafts.

There wasn't any obvious wound or scratch on him so the doctors have no idea how he may have contracted it, and he's a truck driver so there's no telling where it came from either.

He's one of those types of people that won't go to the doctor. If he hadn't wrecked his truck, he would have died on the side of the highway. He had been trying to pull over to stop because the fever was making him weave around. He got too far over on the soft part of the shoulder and the truck tipped over-ironic that a wreck could save your life.

I don't worry any more about getting scratches and such even having had a member of my immediate family have this disease. I just use the same rule of washing my hands and treating my boo-boo's the same as usual. I figure it was just one of those things that happens when you wander into the wrong place at the wrong time. You can't live life in a bubble; all you can do from there is watch other people live.

18. FLhomesteader

FLhomesteader Who's got my BANANAS?

e-coli was what infected the kids at the fairs last year and the reason it infected the kids and not the animal handlers is because most of the kids are city kids and dont have the imunities like the good ole country folk who are always around animals
    but it was not felsh eating or anything like that here in florida.

19. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

You do have to be very careful around strange people and animals. I somehow contracted a MRSA infection on my legs---this is an antibiotic resistant staff infection. A "super bug" that is talked about in all the papers. I will have the bacteria in my system for the rest of my life if they don't come up with a way to kill it off. The Drs said that I must have had a scratch or some break in my skin and this is how the bacteria was "introduded" to my system. I was very sick and in the hospital for 8 days this past June/July. I now have cellulitis and have to take meds for it. I do not have any sugar related problems which usually goes along with cellulitis. While I do not recommend that you be overly cautious but you should be careful whenever you can.

20. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I am just this side of obsessive about washing my hands. I wash them first thing when I get into the house from outside. I carry around one of those small bottles of waterless washing stuff for when I am about to eat and cannot get to water. I have also been trying to break the habit of putting my hands on my face. If there is an itch, I try to ignore it or use a hankie. I also keep my fingernails clipped to the quick once a week.

I also take a bunch of vitamines, etc. that keep my immune system built up. I very seldom get sick--usually only when I've been on an airplane, or when the GD brings home an especially virulent bug. For the last few days, I've been drinking echinacea tea and taking 500 mg Vit C several times a day. I fly home tomorrow (from Naples, IT).