Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pretty interesting....might be a skill we could use to make trade goods both now and later.this is something i been interested in for a very long time..not sure if you would call it a woodworking skill or a woodsman type skill..maybe a blend of each.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMdtazvdOzQ&list=UU-aSQD8UfeL3qAkDCvQX5og[/ame]

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Very cool! But I'm such a newb that I don't even know the names for most of those pieces they were using. I think what you're calling a brace is what I would have guessed is a hand drill, is that right? Is it all one piece, or is it a separate part for the turning handle and the bit is just added to it, so you can use different size bits?

And that table and the blocks they were holding the wood with while they drilled it, are those just something they made up themselves? If you've never done this before, how would you know how to make that and where to space the supports?

I love this sort of stuff, amazing what you can make just from trees and brush from the woods! But it just points out how woefully unprepared I am for this sort of stuff, lol. Too much to learn, not enough time! :)

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool! But I'm such a newb that I don't even know the names for most of those pieces they were using. I think what you're calling a brace is what I would have guessed is a hand drill, is that right? Is it all one piece, or is it a separate part for the turning handle and the bit is just added to it, so you can use different size bits?

its called a brace and bit...brace=hand drill..bit=drill bit...they have a chuck just like a modern drill except they use a squared shank...a modern bit is hard to get to work in one because it needs the square shoulders to tighten down and will fall out after any use.

And that table and the blocks they were holding the wood with while they drilled it, are those just something they made up themselves? If you've never done this before, how would you know how to make that and where to space the supports?

that referred to as a jig or thats what i seen it called here it used in several job types from metal working to wood working to get a shape and to hold items until they take and hold shape...i.e. homemade ski tips after steaming are bent in a jog and held till dry.the other bench thing is a drawhorse or a shave horse....depending on who you ask....lol..it holds wood freeing hands to use draw kife shaving down wood to shape.

I love this sort of stuff, amazing what you can make just from trees and brush from the woods! But it just points out how woefully unprepared I am for this sort of stuff, lol. Too much to learn, not enough time! :)
draw knives,froes i love all them old tools.

i am going to amish auction next saturday...i may come home with a halflinger horse and tools....everything goes at sale.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Reactions: calliemoonbeam

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have a decent collection of tools.but there are a few i dont know names of and are so rare very few people even know what they are or how to use them.i am learning too along with everyone else.

i have several brace and bit sets from family,broad axe,various axes ,foot adze,shaves etc.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Ah, thank you! I need someone to take me in on an apprenticeship or something. Any takers?? Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, ROFL! :D Or maybe a Master to my Grasshopper...always willing to learn!

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i wish tnhermit would get back on here he knows alot of old tools.

i have wood planes my great grandaddy made....but i would be afraid to use them now.i have several crosscut saws from grandaddys too.maybe i am just a family junk collector....lol

Reactions: calliemoonbeam

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, ROFL! :D

my best friend says i am becoming this being like a hobbit/gandof in bibs talking hebrew...before i cut my beard for hot weather he said he looked for birds to start building nests in it....lets all quit our jobs and make chairs ,tend the gardens in the shire,smoke our pipes and drink cider all day.....roflmao.

obi wan says everybody.....lets all be homestead hebrew hippies....lol

our notion of how things are have been very short term....think industrial age...compared to how life was the previous eons of time....humans will be back to agrarian lifestyles one day.these old tools will be priceless in future.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Nice!!!! I have seen many chairs made like that in Appalachia, but have not yet had the opportunity to make one. I wonder what the prescribed dimensions/ratios are? That would have been really sweet if the dimensions/ratios were included in thevideo. I guess I will just convert from the plans that I already have.

Now all I need is a how-to video on coopering (the art of making wood barrels and such). All I can find are videos showing commercial operations.

Hey Elkhound! Do me a favor please and see if you can find a video like that. :D

Your google skills are much better than mine.

TRellis

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I remember alot a folks that used those old tools. I got the same problem you do with those old tools ....they are sorta like stray puppies and kittens....some folks even even drop them off..
One of the worst problems with some of our old tools is the lack of the right wood to repair them....

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice!!!! I have seen many chairs made like that in Appalachia, but have not yet had the opportunity to make one. I wonder what the prescribed dimensions/ratios are? That would have been really sweet if the dimensions/ratios were included in thevideo. I guess I will just convert from the plans that I already have.

Now all I need is a how-to video on coopering (the art of making wood barrels and such). All I can find are videos showing commercial operations.

Hey Elkhound! Do me a favor please and see if you can find a video like that. :D

Your google skills are much better than mine.

TRellis

i actually have seen a video of building a barrel and buckets....if i can find it...many videos i find and post often are taken down for whatever reason be it copyright or people decide to take them down.

some info is in foxfire books you are looking for....but also making a chair specifically you need for them to sit and measure the height of the rump sitting flat and length of leg from knee down to get a feel for chair leg height....width are well...whatever ya rump is...lol...mine is wide...lol

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I remember alot a folks that used those old tools. I got the same problem you do with those old tools ....they are sorta like stray puppies and kittens....some folks even even drop them off..
One of the worst problems with some of our old tools is the lack of the right wood to repair them....
i know you and i have see much of the same peoples and skills and i bet we live less than a 100 miles from each other.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMDKlblsPco[/ame]

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this video has a tool i have never seen before.its a long board with a plane knife in it he uses to size side pieces of bucket.it is basically function like what we would call a electric powered wood jointer.basically a giant hand plane turned up side down.wish i knew the proper name for it.he also shows how to make wooden arrow lock ring might be handy info if steel rings cant be found or metal is scarce and cant make metal rings.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PX8k6Qcr5Q[/ame]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts