'skeeters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wy0mn, Jul 23, 2004.

1. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

I deer hunt a swampy lease that has an old mule dug pond. During the archery season the mosquitoes try to carry me away! I use Permanone on my clothing & Sawyer bug-a-cide on my hide, but they are tenacious. You don't see many deer while windmilling your arms around your face & head. A mesh net is ruled out due to tobacco spittin'.
    I've decided to attack the aireal leeches at the source, naturally, without chems.
    Has anyone had any experience with stocking Eastern Mosquitofish, and does its intro upset the life cycles of other critters? The pond is vacant, no fish, except for a small mud turtle & a couple dozen scrawny frogs.
    Lex

2. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

Believe me I know your pain. :D I think I would get some of those things you toss in the water that kills the larva. They are not suppose to be toxic to fish.??? Anything to kill the mosquitoes!! They DO carry dangerous diseases!
    Steve

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

There is prob a minnow that is indigenous to the area that you can stock into that pond. Why not call your state fisheries dept and ask them?

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Mosquito Dunks are cheap and easy to use. I bought them online through Amazon. They can be broken for smaller areas of water (stock tank or rain barrel) or used whole. If kept dry they have an indefinite shelf life. We saw results within 24 hours.

Summit is the name of the company that makes them. They say they last for 30 days and it is okay if they dry out and then get wet again as in a rain barrel. I got 8 in a package for $9 and shipping.