SKEETERS!!! EEk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fitwind, May 29, 2006.

1. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

I am real allergic to skeeter bites is there anything I can put on them? Is there anything to keep them away from me. All I have found so far that works is a sportsmen spray with deet. :shrug:

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I know someone who is horribly allergic to skeeter bites - she would swell up etc. There's a pill she takes everyday during the "skeeter times" for it.
    Maybe ask you doctor about it (?)

In the meanwhile - have you tried plain old Calamine lotion? My ankles are covered with it as I type this.....

Good luck! :)

Oh, also, I've read that if you take lots of vitamin C, it will help reduce allergic reactions a lot!!!

3. heritagefarmer

heritagefarmer Belties are Best!

DH swears by tonic water and garlic, but it does nowt for me!
    They love me!
    I get elephantitis from black fly bites, but skeeters just make me itch,

4. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I have the same problem, one bite becomes a huge white weal, then a huge red lump that both hurts and itches for days. Misery.

My poor mother tried everything when I was a kid, and to this day, the only thing that keeps them away is Avon's SkinSoSoft. It has a very hardcore perfumey smell, but when I put it on, I can hear them buzzing but no bites. It is the smell of summer, to me :rolleyes: .

I apply it in the late afternoon when they come out to munch.

I am natural entertainment for my chickens, providing an evening snack as I draw mosquitos when I sit in the yard with them.

5. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

In MA mosquitos were horendous! My kids would get golf ball size lumps all over them even if i sprayed them. I never figured out what to do to prevent them, but to make them feel better, their doctor would have me give them childrens benedryl before bedtime if they were very bad.