sizes of pregnant does

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Raftercat5, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

This is my first 'go-round' with pregnant goats. I have two now. They were both bred at the same time. I'm pretty sure they're both pregnant. They're two months pregnant now. One of the goats is getting pretty big, but the other one is just barely showing any difference. She may be slightly longer bodied than the other one. Could that be why there's such a difference? Or maybe the bigger one is having multiple kids versus only one from the other? This is both goats' first times being pregnant. My does are 2 weeks apart in age, and are 11 months old. What do you all think?
    - Kathy

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I think two months pregnant is too soon to really be showing. You may have one like my Milly who always looks bred and plumps up pretty quick. I have another who barely shows on her due date. Her dam was the same way. Just like in people, I guess, some of us show real quick and others don't, or carry differently.

Sorry to say their size is not necessarily an indicator of how many kids they will have. My Rose was a big goat, always looked like she would have 3 or 4 when she was pregnant. She never had more than one at a time. Others I didn't think could have more than one or two, tripled.
    The goat that hardly shows at all always has twins, but really big twins.

mary

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have to agree with Mary. I have had some that you didn't think were pregnant and then all of the sudden you have babies. My daughter was given a beautiful Cashmere doe and we took her home, she settled in and we took her to a buck to be bred, We got a call from the breeder and she said congrat you had triplets. YEP Triplets. It really is a wait and see game. When they are large they could be just having a big baby or just pretecting her bundle.
    Good luck
    Sweet Goats
    Lori

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I have seen then as far along as 3-4 months and not showing at all. Heck, I have even been surprised by a few yearlings that I didn't know were bred at all until I went out there and they had a kid!!!:eek:

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Lori, do you mean you took the doe to be bred and she had triplets at the buck's "house"?

6. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

BTW, I have a pregnant Nigerian Dwarf. We bought her on impulse when we bought her Alpine Cross daughter and another Nigerian doeling that is the daughter of the Nigerian Buck she was bred to. If that makes sense.
    Anyhoo, she was bred about the first week of October...where would that put her due date---late February? Early March?
    She recently started looking VERY preggo! I was told she dropped triplets last time---2 bucklings and the doeling we took home with us.

7. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

We have 2 pregnant does. Both were purchased "as is", so we have no idea when their due dates are. One of them is really large though, she looks like she should drop her kids any minute now. The only problem is that she has looked like that for the past 4 weeks!!!! We have never delivered kids before and I am a nervous wreck expecting them any day (for the past 4 weeks :bash: )

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

That is correct. We had no idea she was even pregnant. Of cource she was a new doe for us but the people that gave her to us didn't even know she was pregnant, and that lady has like 200 Cashmere goats.
    Lori

9. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Watch her bags for looking fuller/tighter, watch for looseness/pinkness in her bottom, and watch the tail ligaments. She will look very sunk in around the tail end of her spine as those ligaments loosen up for birthing, and her tail will hang in a funny position. That's when you need to start checking her more often. Have your towels and iodine ready, and do a little reading up on proper birth positioning, and what will and won't work.
    mary

10. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Pregnant does are all over the board on when/how much they show. My smallest starts to show a month after breeding while I've had others I questioned whether they had even settled almost right up to due date. Some moms can pack those kids in tight so you can hardly notice!

11. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Update: Well, the "girls" are almost 3 months preggers now, and they're both showing. One is looking very pregnant, with one side sticking out farther thant the other side (which I think is normal...right?) and the other one is just a little rounder, but her belly is closer to the ground. Neither one of them has a developed udder yet. They're both due about March 6th, so I'll be reading this goat forum for all the info I can glean! Now they're knees are starting to click (but that's another thread). This is so exciting, knowing we're going to be having babies soon! It'll be the first time for goatbabies for me, being born here! After Jan. 1st, we'll be getting all our supplies out and making up a special box with birthing stuff, just so we're ready if need be.
    Love this board! Thanks to everyone!!
    Merry Christmas
    Happy Hannukah
    - Kathy