Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O K I Am in need of the sizes for A nest box, Or if theres A link to A site that would help. I think another poster mentioned Wire bottoms in the boxes?? Can I use 1/2" hardware cloth?? Thanks.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I made myself a nice wooden one, using directions in a book I have - 12"x12"x24" - and it didn't fit through the door of my cage. :grump: So that's your first criterion! :p

I now have some made of tin, about 9"x10"x20", with wire bottoms. They've worked well, and when the weather gets cold, I can put a wooden bottom in them.

I have NZW/Commercial rabbits, so they're a good size.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
pookshollow said:
I made myself a nice wooden one, using directions in a book I have - 12"x12"x24" - and it didn't fit through the door of my cage. :grump: So that's your first criterion! :p
Sounds like something I would do. :doh:

Next time you build a cage, make it big enough to accomodate that nest box. Keep it specially for a doe that kindles large litters. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On two of the cages the doors are 22" X22" in diameter. And the cages are 24"X24"X36" And I want to build A few more that size too. I have 3 Cages that are wire One set of doubles and A single.. The Does will be in the larger ones in About 10 days. But I wanted to get the Nest boxes built P D Q.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi James,

We have installed drop baskets in our cages and have not used nest boxes for the last 2 & 1/2 years. We still have the boxes we started out with and I can tell you how we made them.

Using 9/16" untreated plywood (5/8" will due), the outside measurements are as follows: 10" wide X 16" long X 12" tall. Only the top back is covered for 8". The front lip is 5 & 1/2 " tall. Some folks will angle cut the side walls from the lip to the cover, but we did not bother. The bottom is made of 1/4" hardware cloth. Be sure that no sharp cut off ends are exposed. During hot weather we do not line the bottom, so that air can circulate up and through the bedding while letting any unabsorbed urine drain out. During cold weather we cut to fit a piece of cardboard and place it under the cage. Some people place the cardboard on the inside, but our does will chew it up.
Be sure the cardboard does not show/stick out from under the box. The does will grab it, pull it out and chew it up if they can get a hold of it. You'll need to check this every time you do your routine checks/feed/water. For nesting material we put untreated pine shavings in first. About 2" in hot weather and about 4" in winter. We top this off with what ever clean dry hay we can find. It should be free of hard stems and thorns. Timothy, alfalfa, bermuda, it really does not matter as long as it's clean. And again, less in the summer, more in the winter. After your does kindle, remove any dead kits and excess fur. Leave enough fur, but the kits do not need all that much this time of year. Store the extra fur in a zip lock container and in the winter you can use it when a doe does not pull enough fur or if you have to clean out and rebuild a soiled nest.

Hope this helps,
MikeL

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what I needed was the sizes to cut the wood. About All I have to use is 1X8 lumber at the moment. So i'll build A few out of that as I get the help. I wonder if the old Nuke boxes would work?? They are close to that in size and theres A few with out bottoms. I also checked and theres enough framing lumber to build a 2X3X2 foot cage with A 22" door.. I will be wanting to use that size for the Does. That will leave me A 3X5X3 foot cage M T to use for weaning the little ones. If theres 3 -4 litters withing A 2 day or so period between ages they should be able to be mixed for A few weeks Right????

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Michael Leferink said:
Hi James,
We have installed drop baskets in our cages and have not used nest boxes for the last 2 & 1/2 years.
Can you tell me how/where you found/made the drop nest box cages? Can you post pictures?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Jcran said:
Can you tell me how/where you found/made the drop nest box cages? Can you post pictures?
Until Mike gets back with some pics, you can view one on my
website. The discussion was regarding the prevention of the
doe using the box for a latrine area. However it does show
the dropped nesting area to some extent.

Photo of cage

Many people will use wooden inserts for winter instead of metal
as shown.

Linda Welch

·
Registered
281 Posts
Jcran said:
I had found drop baskets available at an online supplier's site, but I did not bookmark the site and I have forgotten which one it was. I do not have any pictures. I've never gotten around to learning how to post pictures, one of these days I should. All I did was cut a length of 1" x 1/2" wire long enough to bend into the right size rectangle and then C-clamped it together. I recommend 8" of depth. I then cut another piece of 1" x 1/2" wire for the bottom and C-clamped it in place. Then I placed the cage upside down and cut a hole in the bottom. Leave 1" of floor wire between the cage walls and the hole/edge of the basket. C-clamp the basket in place. The cut off ends of wire need to be ground or filed smooth or make the cut leaving the wire long and bend it though the the spaces of the wire being connected. This is to alleviate the rabbits being snagged on the wire. I hope my description is clear enough. We have found installing drop baskets, stiffens up the cage floor. I have seen factory produced drop baskets that have the front made as a door the make clean out easier. We did not bother to do that, but you could.

IMHO, metal/plastic gets too hot and too cold, depending on the time of year, for use as nest box material. If I needed to use a box inside a basket, I would use untreated wood.

MikeL

·
Registered
125 Posts
we put a box with hay in all of our cages. the box is 2' X 2'. we have a problem with dogs chewing at their toes through the bottom of the cage that is .5" X .5". this gives them a safe spot from the dogs. the rabbits like to nibble on the hay also.

rm

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
dlwelch said:
Until Mike gets back with some pics, you can view one on my
website. The discussion was regarding the prevention of the
doe using the box for a latrine area. However it does show
the dropped nesting area to some extent.

Photo of cage

Many people will use wooden inserts for winter instead of metal
as shown.

Linda Welch
When I tried to view the attach, I got an error warning stating that I did not have permission to see it.

Pony!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.