Size matters?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, Nov 17, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Late Flat Dutch Cabbage--one catalog says it grows to about 6# another catalog says its a regular 20# producer, can this be the same cabbage? i'm wanting it for fall kraut--supposed to make better kraut than spring--if'n it does I'll be writhing on the floor like a cat with catnip--my spring kraut was that good! :shrug:

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I don't think that I've ever grown a Late Flat Dutch cabbage head of ONLY 6#! I've got a 10# maximum scale and always have to cut them in half to get a weight. At the same time, I would think that 20# is about maximum. SSE's description of Premium Late Flat Dutch calls for 7" to 8" deep and 10" to 14" diameter. If the maximum of those measurements are reached, it's probably closer to 15#.

Martin

3. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I have grown late flat dutch and it did poorly here in my garden. I grew early round dutch and it did well. I think you need some really rich soil to grow the late dutch.
    I guess my garden just hasn't gotten there yet.
    My grands father grew Late flat dutch and his got to be pretty good sized, but he spaced them 3 foot on center in rows about 4 foot apart. I remember he could get a huge rear tine tiller between the rows.
    I wide bed garden so I find the late flat duch to large for my garden. Along with the Early flat duch I use golden acre, Copenhagen Market and new jersy cabbage. These are all smaller, but I find i can get 2 crops of them per year.
    This is my first year making kraut, Will definetly make it from now on.