Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son-in-law is a fine man. We love him to pieces. He and my daughter have one major difference and she has asked for help.

We are a family that usually stocks up. Not major hordes of things, but generally have a years supply on hand at any given time. This has served us well in the past, like when DH was off work for 8 months, we got by just fine. My daughter was brought up like this and sees how it has made life easier when tough times hit.

SIL was brought up in a famiy that seldom has more than 2 weeks worth of groceries and toiletries on hand. He is also a major saver, anytime he has a dime, it goes into a savings or interest bearing checking account. All their transactions are handled by checking or debit card, no cash.

Daughter is uncomfortable with having so little supplies and absolutely no cash on hand. I mentioned that I had heard there were government web sites advising people to keep more supplies and at least some cash on hand. He has said if we can show him one of these sites, he will be happy to reconsider. Daughter woud love to solve this conflict in a respectful way. Could anyone point us to one or more of these sites?

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
There are lots of sites that recommend three days food and water per person, you can easily find those on the FEMA site and several other government preparedness sites.

However, this Red Cross Website below recommends two weeks of food, so might be the one you show them unless someone comes up with a government site that recommends more. I had thought there was one that recommended three weeks, but haven't found it yet.

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/beprepared/foodwtr.html

Dawn

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Since they are married her opinion should count as well as his. She should ask for stocking up/prepping or whatever she calls it to be an item in their budget. Beyond common sense this is a huge emotional issue and he should respect her need to have supplies and cash on-hand the same way she does his need to save. Compromise is part and partial of marriage.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
Stocking up on food will earn more interest than sticking it in a savings account especially with the increasing costs of food.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Ask him if he believes in insurance. Stocking grocries and extra CASH is insurance against emergency. Like a job loss, a freak storm where you might be without elect. for several days. If that's the case the ATM's are down and cash is the only way to buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts