Site Controversy

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

I am just getting caught up on the recent controversy about posts from here being copied to other forums owned by Carbon Media and not being attributed to the original poster. I truly believe it is an unethical, awful way to do business and I do not agree with it in any way. I apologize to all of our members here for what is happening.

I have always tried to operate the Family forum as a separate, independent entity and not really gotten overly involved with the operation of the site as a whole. My own moral code is to treat everyone here with respect, kindness and consideration. I did not know this was happening and I do not agree with it at all. I am not paid to be here and I have absolutely no financial interest in this place.

Please accept my sincere apology and you can discuss anything you want about this issue on this thread and it won't be closed by anyone.

2. unregistered41671

unregistered41671 Guest

Thank you Melissa. This is the way it should be. Discussed and out in the open for all to see, and if any wrongs have taken place, make things right.

3. Tiempo

Tiempo Moderator Staff Member

4. Miss Kay

Miss Kay Well-Known Member

Thanks but we'll see if they over ride you on this one. I had a post deleted here yesterday. I have asked to have all my previous posts deleted but that has not happened. I do not want my words out there to be used by this corporation in any way they like. I will use my name and post where I want for the public to see, it should not be moved or used elsewhere. So, can they or will they remove all my previos posts or is there a way I can do that?

5. BlackFeather

BlackFeather Well-Known Member

Who exactly is copying them, and what subjects are they copying? From the statement "awful way to do business" it would imply it is being done by someone in the management of the board not just a member?

I can only speak for myself but if something I posted will help others I don't need recognition. The only thing that troubles me is if someone posts information about a messy family problem, that should be left here and not spread all over, even though the public can lurk here.

I forgot to ask where are the posts going to?

Update:
    I tried to post at the end of the thread but my token had expired, what ever that means so I'll try and edit here,

In short I have read the threads, and the corporation should not have done what it had did. The issue I see aside from not giving credit where credit is due is if these posts were to try and increase traffic for the purpose of revenue generation, the it seems to me to be fraud toward the advertisers. So as far as Steve is concerned, he apologized, and I accept that. When I worked at Radio Shack we all at one time or another did something we thought was a good idea that the next day we would look at again and wonder how we ever thought it was a good idea. We called it a "brain-fart." So a message to Steve, I accept your apology, and just learn from the experience. After all "he that is without sin cast the first stone."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  6. Melissa

Melissa member

All I know is what I have on various threads here. Check out the announcement forum for more information.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/ad...s-i-made-here-showing-up-cattleforum-com.html

7. Melissa

Melissa member

I believe it is possible to have a person completely removed, I am not sure what it involves. I have deleted posts for people before, but have to do them one-by-one and that takes a lot of time.

8. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Entire posts got posted under the user names on other forums. The user name was not the user name of the person who originally posted it here.

For example Willow posted about her cow rescue. They then copied the post and "Alice" posted it on the cattle forum and had a conversation like it was her doing the rescue. Exact same words.

9. Tiempo

Tiempo Moderator Staff Member

There's a lot of coverage about this down in the "Announcements & Support" forum.

Rick and Wind in Her Hair like this.
  10. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I have read that they will not delete entire posts by people. If you want to do so, you are free to leave the site, but the posts will remain.

Also, from what I know, the posts used were from the animal forums.

11. Dixie Bee Acres

Dixie Bee Acres Well-Known Member Supporter

Melissa, thank you. I wish other forums were allowed the same courtesy without our discussions being deleted.

12. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

AS MY WIFE ANN SAID, GO MELISSA!

If they do not close this, there will be a mountain of posts.

Posts were copied, from here to other, seemingly fledgling forums, under name of persons who obviously weren't the authors. People on the other forums took the time and responded to these posts as if they were new and genuine.

The perceived reason was to bolster the page count, and build up the forums participation.

13. Rose2005 was completely deleted, and at the time it was said that it was pretty easy. Why can't people ask to have all their posts removed? Why does the ownership of this forum need to be antagonistic to the members? And, if the forum owners believe that they own the content posted, then do they feel that they're responsible for erroneous information? If a member posts to drink drano for a flu, and a child dies, does the ownership of this forum step up to the plate and say, yes that's our position? They can't have it both ways.

People are wanting their posts deleted. What's the problem with that? Why can't ownership of this forum do something the members ask for, instead of clamming up, saying it won't happen again, and counting their nickels and dimes until it all blows over?

14. Melissa

Melissa member

Now if there are any cuss-words involved, I am deleting that~ :hobbyhors:)

15. Jokarva

Jokarva Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry, I'm a tech idiot...but what's the purpose of copying people's posts elsewhere? Is there some financial benefit? Or just to look like there are more users of that forum than there really are?

16. Melissa

Melissa member

Personally, they way I have always operated, if you make a post on the family board and you later want it be deleted for any reason, I have happily done it. People change their minds and I believe you own your thread. However, I can only speak for myself and this forum.

17. Dixie Bee Acres

Dixie Bee Acres Well-Known Member Supporter

Awwww, man....!!! :D

18. Melissa

Melissa member

I guess to build the forums and possibly stimulate conversations and add more users- which I imagine drives more traffic and increases ad revenue?? This is my best guess, I am not very business-oriented or tech savvy either...

19. Wind in Her Hair

Wind in Her Hair Interrobanger Supporter

Northwoods of Minnesota, formerly of Texas
    atta girl. :cowboy:

20. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

To try to drive traffic to that forum from what I understand. I realize they are in this to make money, but most of the posters had said if they would have been asked, they would have given permission for their posts to be used. They just wanted the credit for the posts which I completely understand. One post was where Willow had saved a cow from what I understand. By posting it under "Alice" in the other forum, it made it seem as if "Alice" was the gal that saved the cow & there is no Alice. It was deceitful to the posters on that site who thought they were discussing something with a real person.

Like Melissa, I have a very high code of morals & ethics & this doesn't sit with me well at all. I do not like what was done & I really, really, really hate to think of all the good people we will lose over this.