Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Speaking for myself.. My participation declined to zero, months ago. At the time it seemed that virtually every thread quickly turned into an argument thanks to a couple of users that always look for the bad in others and can't pass an opportunity for a fight. Maybe that has changed?

Where do I go to get my fix instead? Outside.
It hasn't changed. I dropped out for a while because of the squabbles and the treatment of a couple of my favorite people.

Well for me it's I'm two weeks away from a five year house for a family member. All paid for plus dad told me there was 80 to 100 k per year either vacant or under rented.

Some of the decline is the loss of quite a few of our goat folks. Some passed, some got out of the goat business, and goats just don’t seem to be the hot topic or commodity anymore.
We lost Agman in Beef . That guy drew people in. He was a nice guy too. I visited his place.

Reactions: nehimama and RJ2019
Facebook is probably the biggest detriment to HT....
I don't know about that. For myself I quit Fakebook years ago, it was just getting to be a pile of gutter trash.

Maybe people are just burned out from all of the media and go spend time on activities which are totally off-line. Not such a bad idea really.

There are better places to post without the same 4 or 5 highly opinionated, obnoxious members with their constant bickering and politicizing of everything. And then there's that one troll, who just can't seem to help themself. I just roll my eyes and go to another forum.

Administration needs to take out the trash at HT. Drain the swamp, so to speak.

I have just been busy. I got a full time job, a small business, a big garden and a new puppy. Plus all the political crap depresses and annoys me. This might be the biggest lesser of the evils election we have had yet.. My screen time is waaay down.

Reactions: RJ2019
When we first moved to this area in PA 28 years ago, we were surrounded by farms. There were kids in overalls and work boots in the classrooms, tractors on the road, and all sorts of livestock around.

Now we are surrounded by McMansions. So many of the farmers cashed in their Retirement Land and moved south, their kids not wanting anything to do with farming. My ancestors came from Ohio - all five brothers left the farm in search of other occupations - they were all successful, since after farming, everything else was easy. I still see a few cows here and there, goats are rare to spot, and seems like the sheep were gone years ago.
Farming ain't what it used to be. I was once a farmer. Wised up. Felt like I was betraying my ancestors, until I realized that my ancestors weren't stupid. They wouldn't be farming with today's profit margins either. Raise things for my family to eat now, but mainly just things that look neat, like my fancy dinosaur chickens that smash chicken Hawks. I can't compete with eggs from the store, but I like the entertainment. Green beans taste ok from a can, I haven't forgotten how to grow them, but my irises bring me more entertainment, for longer, and with less effort, and the deer don't seem as attracted to them.
I understand the mcmansion thing, even embrace it a little, but am still a little perplexed at why the population as a whole thinks it is a good idea to trust our entire food supply to a handful of huge corporations that are really good at making food at the cost of generations of farmers.

Pretty much what we do.....grow food for ourselves. I do miss my chickens, but once the foxes found us, it was hard penning them up after they were free range, and I miss those delicious orange-yolked eggs. We're still eating the beef from our cow 2 years ago and will have pork this fall from our pigs. I like knowing where my meat comes from and what is in the feed. I cant imagine having to grow EVERYTHING for my family to survive...and hope I never have to.
As for the McMansions, I have no problems with whatever people can afford to live in...but find the minute they move in, they're complaining that they need sidewalks, sewers, city (no cities nearby) water with fluoride, and cry about the lack of public transportation.

Busy time of the year. Getting eighty acres of hay put up. Keeping the garden in good shape, produce sales has been quite good. Always need to be controlling weeds somewhere. Have an acre of lawn to keep mowed, and too many flower beds to weed. Don't do Facebook so no time lost there.
Work on getting firewood put away, have good start on next years supply.
The pup and I have made several trips in the motor home. Managed to stay away from all the crowds, by going to out of the way places.
Think am looking forward to fall and things slowing down a little. Days are getting shorter, so its a coming.

So a brief history going back to the 1990s. It started on Lusenet with ties to Countryside Magazine. When Lusenet shut down, Chuck started HT and Melissa moved her forum in as part of the migration. Chuck eventually sold HT to the current owners and Melissa moved her forum to Proboards (I call it the great split). I show up here off and on but it's been more off than on in recent years. I guess the way I'd put it is that more and more the juice just isn't worth the squeeze to participate.

So a brief history going back to the 1990s. It started on Lusenet with ties to Countryside Magazine. When Lusenet shut down, Chuck started HT and Melissa moved her forum in as part of the migration. Chuck eventually sold HT to the current owners and Melissa moved her forum to Proboards (I call it the great split). I show up here off and on but it's been more off than on in recent years. I guess the way I'd put it is that more and more the juice just isn't worth the squeeze to participate.
There was an owner in between Chuck and the present owners.
Melissa didn’t move till the Alicegate debacle Which was long after Chuck sold it.

There was an owner in between Chuck and the present owners.
Melissa didn’t move till the Alicegate debacle Which was long after Chuck sold it.
I also had my forums on Lusenet and came with Chuck. I too had my forums since the 90’s when the “debacle“ occurred. It went from helpful advice and sharing to all-about-the-money and a lot of hurt feelings. Now I just pop in and out to keep up with old friends. If you saw this forum since it’s beginning until today, you’d want to cry. Honestly, no one is as fault, we believed in Chuck and were promised nothing would change, but his circumstances changed, he sold the site, and they sold the site and on and on and it’s just progressed into something entirely different today. It’s just the times we live in now.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.