Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or has participation here on HT taken a nosedive? Is the flush water circling? Where are you all going to get your fix instead?

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Summer has always been slow here, in my estimation, due to outside wants and have to's. But, yes, seems slower than normal. And I don't believe the new format is helping.....
It's nice that HT is getting new members due to the virus, and I love some of the resurrected old posts....

Reactions: MichaelZ

·
Registered
27,502 Posts
Facebook is probably the biggest detriment to HT

I am not sure when HT started, or when it hit high tide, but there are many alternatives out there right now. It would be hard to win against them. I think the strategy of build it and they will come will not work today as well as it did before.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Speaking for myself.. My participation declined to zero, months ago. At the time it seemed that virtually every thread quickly turned into an argument thanks to a couple of users that always look for the bad in others and can't pass an opportunity for a fight. Maybe that has changed?

Where do I go to get my fix instead? Outside.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For my part, I just discovered this site and have gotten great information from current posters and looking back through old information.

I'd spend MORE time online, but I need to be outside trying to keep the bugs from eating everything in sight! Neem oil is sold out completely in our area and the ones on my Baby's Breath - which I'm pleased to say is actually getting some little flowers - seem to love Neem oil.....so I spend about an hour in the morning picking Japanese Beetles off them. Pigs are getting fat and spend most of the day in the shade. Nothing new to report :)

·
Gadabout
2,491 Posts

I am not sure when HT started, or when it hit high tide, but there are many alternatives out there right now. It would be hard to win against them. I think the strategy of build it and they will come will not work today as well as it did before.
I'm back on HT after many years on Facebook. They pissed me off one too many times so I quit.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Speaking for myself.. My participation declined to zero, months ago. At the time it seemed that virtually every thread quickly turned into an argument thanks to a couple of users that always look for the bad in others and can't pass an opportunity for a fight. Maybe that has changed?

Where do I go to get my fix instead? Outside.
Yep.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
77,608 Posts

·
Registered
5,435 Posts

I don’t know. I’m pretty sure HT is the biggest detriment to HT. The ownership and admin here are jokes. They can’t seem to go more than about a year without making boobs of themselves.

For a while, they were plagiarizing posters’ words to create clicks on other sites. Lost a lot of good members over that (at least one presciently mentioned earlier today).

Then there was, oh wait, IS that one blatantly racist and misogynistic mod.

There’s the obvious sock-puppeting of 10 and 15 year old vacant accounts.

Oh! Oh! ... and that one time where they told us we couldn’t quote content from other sites, even with citation, for “copyright concerns”, but the Admin had an Ohio State University logo for his avatar.... until it was pointed out and it quietly went away.

Boobs.
All of them.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For my part, I just discovered this site and have gotten great information from current posters and looking back through old information.

I'd spend MORE time online, but I need to be outside trying to keep the bugs from eating everything in sight! Neem oil is sold out completely in our area and the ones on my Baby's Breath - which I'm pleased to say is actually getting some little flowers - seem to love Neem oil.....so I spend about an hour in the morning picking Japanese Beetles off them. Pigs are getting fat and spend most of the day in the shade. Nothing new to report :)
That's probably it. We do three or four Japanese Beetle patrols daily, we kill thousands and millions seem to come to the funeral. Where do they all come from?

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
I don’t know. I’m pretty sure HT is the biggest detriment to HT. The ownership and admin here are jokes. They can’t seem to go more than about a year without making boobs of themselves.

For a while, they were plagiarizing posters’ words to create clicks on other sites. Lost a lot of good members over that (at least one presciently mentioned earlier today).

Then there was, oh wait, IS that one blatantly racist and misogynistic mod.

There’s the obvious sock-puppeting of 10 and 15 year old vacant accounts.

Oh! Oh! ... and that one time where they told us we couldn’t quote content from other sites, even with citation, for “copyright concerns”, but the Admin had an Ohio State University logo for his avatar.... until it was pointed out and it quietly went away.

Boobs.
All of them.
Truth ^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
19,725 Posts
I think the mods do a good job (other than the racist/sexist one and who knows how he got to be one) ...though I can’t imagine why they bother.

·
Registered
27,502 Posts
I think the mods do a good job (other than the racist/sexist one and who knows how he got to be one) ...though I can’t imagine why they bother.
I agree

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,433 Posts
Some of the decline is the loss of quite a few of our goat folks. Some passed, some got out of the goat business, and goats just don’t seem to be the hot topic or commodity anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some of the decline is the loss of quite a few of our goat folks. Some passed, some got out of the goat business, and goats just don’t seem to be the hot topic or commodity anymore.
When we first moved to this area in PA 28 years ago, we were surrounded by farms. There were kids in overalls and work boots in the classrooms, tractors on the road, and all sorts of livestock around.

Now we are surrounded by McMansions. So many of the farmers cashed in their Retirement Land and moved south, their kids not wanting anything to do with farming. My ancestors came from Ohio - all five brothers left the farm in search of other occupations - they were all successful, since after farming, everything else was easy. I still see a few cows here and there, goats are rare to spot, and seems like the sheep were gone years ago.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts