Sit and sleep furniture

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by longshadowfarms, Sep 5, 2006.

1. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Talk to me about sofa beds, futons and the like. We're looking to purchase or have a piece of furniture built that we'd like to serve as seating as well as occasional sleeping furniture. I've slept on some nasty sofa beds though and sat on some uncomfortable futons. Is there a good way to get the best of both worlds withouth spending a fortune? I like this one but it starts at $3,000 :eek:

http://www.pompy.com/furniture/?category=28&product=6212&pid=2

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We got a futon from our son. I find it comfortable for napping! It's an oak frame and a firm mattress.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I like this furniture maker. (michael roberts? robert michaels? I forget) This website shows these sofas well, but there's a ton of places to get them. They have sleeper sofas and sleeper sectionals in some of the lines. The goose-down fill ones are expensive (>$2000) but the synthetic fills are <$1000 per (non-sleeper) unit and slighly over $1000 for the sleepers.

http://fullhousefurniture.com/store/

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a queen sleep sofa-I paid extra for a "really nice, thick" mattress on it and even when the kids were small they hated sleeping on it! I have never slept on a sleep sofa that feels good.. If it were me I think I would make/have made a daybed type frame but a real mattress on it, add cushions, bolsters, pillows and have it look like a nice soft sofa... If you have room, you could have two twin size daybeds and if needed you could push them together, purchase the foam strip that fits into the crack and forms a king size bed.. We used the strip added a egg-crate topper and put king sheets on the bed.. works great... QB

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I have found futons to be better for sleeping and just okay for sitting, and sofabeds to be the other way around, but my experience is pretty dated. Supposedly the newer designs and materials are much better at both tasks.

6. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

I have two air mattresses -queen and single (going on three years) when company comes, I pull one out. Had a sleeper sofa for a while, had a day bed for a while, had people sleeping on the couch too.

I slept on the queen for about four months when I first moved to SD, then hubby used it for another 8 until he moved here also, and it was just as comfortable as a regular mattress (even when we were both on it). Think I paid near $100 for it.

I hope to get a futon when the upstairs is done, but I may just make sure I have enough floor space. Don't have company all that often though.

Cathy

7. tweety

tweety Tweety

I bought a futon last spring to replace one that had finally fallen apart. It has a sturdy oak frame and I opted to buy the better innerspring mattress for not much more $$. Mattress is thicker and SO comfy that I have not been able to stay awake through a single TV show since I bought it! I spent the night on it several times when the house was full of guests and have been well satisfied.
    So I suggest getting a good frame and a decent quality mattress.

8. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

We sleep on a futon every night. Have for almost 2 years. We are as comfortable as in a bed because we went to the furniture store and invested in the upgraded matress. It was expensive, about 200.00, but has a 10 year warranty. We knew we were going to sleep on it all the time, so we felt it was worth the extra expense for our poor backs. It was a REALLY good decision.

I don't know that I would have done it for just occasional sleeping, but it is an option. You can get the frames pretty cheaply just about anywhere.

Cindyc.

9. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I've tried lots of futon things and I think there are some people that are okay on futon couches or beds, but I'm not one of them. And I get the impression that I'm not alone. I currently own two futon couch/bed things. And I own one ugly , but comfortable couch with a nice couch cover. When guests have been over, many have chosen to sleep on the regular couch than either of the futon beds or an air mattress.

I think just a plain comfy couch is the way to go.

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Here's the thing on futons. Get a futon mattress that has inner springs. We have two of these and they sleep just like a bed because the mattress is made just like a bed mattress. And sitting on this style of mattress is very pleasureable...you don;t slouch to the center like you do on the "stuffing" type of futon mattresses.

Our innerspring futon mattresses are made by Simmons.

11. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd suggest jennifer convertibles. Normally I dislike sofa couches as they weigh a ton and aren't too comfortable. These are light (I can carry it myself), and fairly comfortable.

Consider too a couch that is simply comfortable to lay out on and sleep that way. Those can be absolutely great.

12. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

This is not what you asked about, but it might just be something you've not considered.

If you know you'll need good *sleeping* space at least fairly often, consider a murphy bed. My parents have had one in the last few houses they've lived in and it's been wonderful! When up in the wall it takes up no more space than a bookcase, but when folded down it has a real honest to goodness mattress on it (and the most comfy one I've ever slept on for that matter).

Of course, you still need sitting space, but if you happen to already have a sofa but know you *also* need sleep space, it is a good alternative.

You can buy the hardware to make one, or buy the kits, or the whole thing. Theirs had a wood slat base for the mattress and was gorgeous folded up, looked just like a built in cabinet.

Just an idea!

13. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I appreciate any and all input and suggestions. Big question is how do you know it is a "good" futon???? I'm plenty open to suggestions on brands to look for or "inner springs" or whatever. I don't even have a clue where to begin.

14. doozie

doozie Well-Known Member

Some of the mattress stores also sell futon frames and futon mattresses. Daybeds too. Go in and ask questions, try one out. They will probably have a few mattress options . Have them show you how to fold it out and fold it back up. We bought 2 for our Sons, but I couldnt fold it out or back up alone by myself.... the mattress is too thick for me to fold.. I hate sitting on them , and we left them folded out as a bed all the time (in their bedrooms) and I personally find the mattress too firm. 3-4 yrs later they are are good as new. Sons never complained....
    I LOVE the idea of the Murphy bed. You can get a "real " mattress then.