Sister thread on history's memories: where were you on 9-11-01 at 9:02 AM?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by daddio, Dec 16, 2006.

1. daddio

daddio Well-Known Member

Where were you when you heard about 9-11-01?

I was watching Katie Couric and Matt Lauer on the today show and thinking that I really needed to get up and get into the shower and get to work (8:00 AM Central time). So I did.

Ten minutes later I emerged from the shower to learn that the whole world changed while I was in the shower: the first plane had hit the tower and then I couldn't take myself away from the TV and watched the second plane hit the second tower. . . . didn't ever make it in to work that day.

I continue to remember that the whole world changed while I was in the shower.

God bless those families still mourning loved ones.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I was at work in a very noisey factory. Guy at the next machine yelled over that we had been attacked and that the towers had come down. A few minutes later he yelled over that the Japanese had attacked San Diego.

3. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

It was 7 here. I was just getting up and my sil called from town. She said that a plane had flown into the first tower, turn on the tv. I did and saw the second one hit. When they came down, all I could do was cry. I couldn't breathe.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

We were in bed asleep. My sister called and told me what happened. I thought she was joking and tried to go back to sleep. After a few minutes I woke hubby and told him maybe we should get up and turn the TV on. As soon as we saw what was going on he got in the shower knowing he would be called in to work. Sure enough, the center called while he was showering. He was an air traffic controller at DFW at the time. I'll never forget the shock and devastation I felt that day while watching TV.

5. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I was working in the basement of the library. My brother-in-law emailed that a plane had flown into the WTC, and I thought something dismissive about incompetent pilots. Then he emailed that a second plane had flown into the tower, and I went upstairs to see what the girls were listening to on the radio.

We didn't get much work done that day. Later around 6pm there was a sonic boom overhead. We'd heard that all flights were cancelled, and hadn't heard a sonic boom for 40 years anyway, so didn't know if all the military bases were being attacked or what. We ran outside.

The woman across the street who sounded like the bus driver on South Park yelled for Sierra her grandaughter to get inside, though what good that would do if we were all being bombed, I didn't know.

6. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

I was just getting out of bed, DH had turned on the TV- and we both saw it at the same time. I was just shocked. I sat in front of the TV all morning, just sobbing. At the time, I was pregnant with my second child. I just kept thinking, "why am I bringing a child into a world so filled with pain????"

7. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Had just finished loading an order at the lumber yard watched it all unfold on the news. then had to hear how it was aragedon from the radio preacher lumber manager . Told him if he thought the second coming was the end of the world he wasnt much of a believer.

8. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I sleep with the radio playing, and I woke up that morning listening to the radio. The announcer sounded all excited and there were reporters babbling about something and it all sounded like something really serious was going on.

I sprang out of bed and turned the TV on to see what was up. There it was in all it's living horror. It took me a couple minutes to make sense of what was happening.

I ran into my mother's house and woke her up. We both stayed glued to the TV all day. All my online friends did the same. (The Internet went practically dead. Nobody was posting in forums or anything. My instant messengers were on but nobody was messaging except for brief comments about the event).

Hardly anyone could pull themselves away from the TV for days, me included.

9. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Within a couple weeks, somebody tried to bomb the Pakistani's 7-11 by lighting the propane tank to a grill in the parking lot.

10. jessimeredith

jessimeredith That's relativity. Supporter

I was in Germany...DH was station in Vilseck at the time. I had just left a friend's house, I had been using her computer to make reservations for a flight home to KY for my best friend's wedding. Walked in, pet the dog, turned on the tube....watched in horror as the second plane hit. Gathered my thoughts, walked back down to the friend's house, cancelled my reservations and called my folks to let them know I would not be going anywhere.

Sure enough, I get home to the phone ringing...DH was on staff duty the night before and was calling to let me know that he wouldn't be home until who knew when and that the post was on lockdown. All within the first 15 minutes. We didn't leave post for almost 3 weeks.

11. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I was reading the morning newspaper and drinking my coffee when a friend called and told me to turn on the tv. I asked him what channel, and he said it didn't matter. 10 minutes after I started watching, the second plane hit.

I didn't make it in to work that day. Just sat there watching the tv stunned, feeling sick to my stomach.

12. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I was sleeping since I worked nights. DH had recently had skin grafting done on a burn on his arm and was on some good pain killers at the time. He woke me and told me about the first plane. I thought for sure he was watching a movie and didn't realize it because of the meds....but I got out just in time to see the second one hit. Was all very shocking. Will always be burned into my memory.

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

13. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

I was in the car driving from WNY to NJ so I was heading toward NYC. Normally I would be listening to cd's for but some reason turned on the radio and hit scan to get a station. I heard Howard Stern in a panic so I found a news channel. I pulled off to the first rest area I came to, just in time to see the second tower get hit. I called my family and let them know I was ok. I had to take alternate roads to get into NJ because many were backed up across from NY into PA. The truckers were extremely helpfull letting me know about road closures and I in turn shared my alternate directions with them. My normally 9 hour trip took me over 14 and that included going 80-100 mph on open stretches of road.
    I can remember every moment of that day and I probably always will.

14. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I was at work. I had gone from my office to the admin office to turn in some paperwork or something, and the office manager yells at me, "We're under attack!" I stepped into the conference room where the tv was, and was watching when the second plane hit. I was still watching when the towers fell. I still remember my heart nearly stopping, and thinking, "All those people are gone."

15. Seeker

Seeker Well-Known Member

I was in Zimbabwe, Africa having tea before dinner (remember the time difference).

It was a shock, being in Africa - I felt disassociated - saw it quickly on TV, then went on safari for 10 days with no information - we could have been in a nuclear war for all I knew.

16. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

DH was working night shift at the time and we were sleeping late when the phone rang. It was our oldest daughter in a panic. She said we needed to wake up, that the country was under attack and that the WTC, the White House and the Pentagon had all been bombed. She, of course, didn't have the correct info, but was telling us what she had heard. I felt nauseous and terrified. We turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane hit the WTC. I think the thing that will stay with me all of my life is watching some of those poor people jumping out of windows to their death on live TV. It was real tragic human suffering and I will never forget the horror of it.

17. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

At home,wife woke me up.Saw second plane hit live.

Im just Thankful we have George Bush to teach that Iraqi Government a lesson for attacking us. [​IMG]

BooBoo :gromit:

18. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

I was in on a constuction site fitting pipe. A guy that came in late said our country was being attacked. My wife called. She was scared. I still think of not being able to leave as the union contractors locked down the site. We turned on the radio to find out what was going on. When the second tower collapesed we were allowed to leave.

19. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

My son and I were making cupcakes, and didn't have the TV on. Husband called from work and told me. For some reason, I didn't believe him (not that he would kid about it, I think my mind just couldn't wrap around the idea). After all the air traffic was supposed to be grounded, we went out and looked up at the sky. It was such a beautiful day, and very still. Then, a lone plane went over and the hair on my neck just stood up. I honestly think it was the plane that crashed in PA just a little while later. The world will never be the same. :Bawling:

20. Saffron

Saffron Well-Known Member Supporter

I was at home, running late for work when dh said about the first tower. We were talking about how could a pilot miss that, something must have happened to the pilot, heart attack or something. Then the second one hit and I immediately put in a video tape. I didn't want to go to work, but I had to. Couldn't get it on the radio where I worked, so dh kept calling with updates for us. I made him videotape the entire day.

hmmm, need to look back at it again some day.