Sinus?? Input needed

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by Hummingbird, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Hi all -

I have a persistant cold/sinus thing going on for over a month now. It just keeps rotating to different areas. Starts with scratchy throat, then moves to a cough, then moves to the nose and facial sinus passages, the back to the throat, etc. I'm on about the third cycle of this and it's driving me nuts! (Ok, I know that's a short trip, LOL)

I've tried Zinc, Vit C (just recently), my neti pot, some sinus support stuff from the herb store, assorted cold/sinus teas, and it just won't go away!!

:help: and Thank you!!!!

Nance

2. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Have you tried a neti pot? They work great.
    motivated

3. Happy Gardener

Happy Gardener Member

I've just discovered the following website and it has alot of info on natural remedies for sinus problems.
    www.earthclinic.com
    The tomato tea sounds good for it.

4. Hummingbird

:) Yes, but it's not getting rid of whatever this creeping crud is that keeps rotating.

5. chickmomma57

chickmomma57 Well-Known Member

Try XClear. It's a sinus spray with xylitol and grapefruit seed extract. You can use it as much as you need to. The xylitol is soothing and the grapefruit seed extract will kill the grud. You can get it at any health food store. We never go without having the spray in the house. It's also great for seasonal allergies.

6. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

When I have sinus troubles..I use alot of vitamin C, grapeseed extract, garlic, and I use ALOT of honey! If I have a scratchy throat..I take it straight..otherwise I spread in on toast etc. and I drink alot of tea with alot of honey in it. It has helped me with a lot of ailments.

If your head is really congested..have you tried peppermint oil in a pan of hot water on the stove? Put a towel over you head and breathe the fumes in and see if that doesn't give you relief.

I'm no doc...this is just what I do. I know you have to be uncomfortable .. so I hope you find relief soon. Best of luck.

7. ozarkorganics

ozarkorganics New Member

What works for me is saline nasal spray. I used to get 5 or 6 sinus infections every year, and was unable to shake them without antibiotics, and I tried just about everything in the health food stores. You can find the spray in pharmacies and supermarkets. The saline nasal spray is just salt and water, and it works wonders for me. It clears you up and kills the little buggers. I start using it whenever I get a cold now, and I don't get the sinus infections anymore.

You can also gargle with warm salt water for sore throats.
    I also like to use ephedra for decongesting. I know it's out of style and hard to find, but I have used it for 20 years with great success and no problems. Just go easy on it. I like the "Breathe Easy" tea, too.

Eucalyptus in a pot of simmering water is good for steaming your sinuses clear if you can't find ephedra. Good luck.

8. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Garlic oil is good at clearing up sinus problems. You can get 60 geltabs for about 3 bucks at Dollar General.

I have chronic sinusitis and it STINKS being congested all the time.

I can't put anything up my nose, it drives me nuts! Maybe I watched Total Recall too much growing up LOL! I still cringe if my Dad uses his sinus spray.

Eating hot things like Jalapenos will get the mucus moving around, the more my nose drips the better.

Sleeping with 2 pillows will help you sleep better, and having a humidifer might help with the scratchy throat and all.

I hope you get feeling better!

Kat

9. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

I think that I just posted this on another thread earlier tonight but anyways...
    My dh has had wonderful results killing the sinus yuckies with hydrogen peroxide. He thoroughly cleaned an old saline bottle and put a tablespoon of the regular old 3% hydrogen peroxide in there and topped it off with water. He says that the sensation when you use it is "interesting" but that once you get used to that it's wonderful stuff.

He used to have lots of sinus troubles...from allergies to outright nasty infections but now he doesn't deal with any of that and he doesn't snore so much (hardly at all ever).

I think that there may be some information on the web about this remedy but I sure don't remember where we first read it. Google may help.

10. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Hummer:

When I was a young man in Austin, Texas I suffered greatly from sinus infections each fall and winter. Then one day I moved to Corpus Christi, Texas where it was warm and humid and my sinuses forgot all about me. So long as my head was warm and the air moist I had no problems.

Nowadays in cool weather I wear a hat or cap in the daytime and a warm nightcap when I sleep. No problems.

You might add a warm cap to your outfit and see if you cannot clear up these miseries. Pull the cap down over your ears and wear it even if it feels hot.
    Ox

11. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

if you can get it, mulien, as a steam as a tea i usually use oregano and peperment with it, they both have menthol properties

lots of fluid intake, garlic, zinc and c

12. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Elderberry syrup will help build up your immune system. I recently had a really bad cold, but it ended after a week because I was using airborne and elderberry syrup. Usually a cold like that will last about two to three weeks. It might be worth a try.

13. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    If you've had a cough the whole time with this you might have whooping cough, which is a mere nuisance to adults but if a child gets it, because they have smaller airways, they can become ill enough to require hospitalization or can even die in rare cases. So stay away from anyone under 6 if you think this might be what you have.

No allopathic doc?

Kindred--all colds end after a week. Elderberry has to be taken very frequently to be effective but does have an effect against H3N2 (human) flu. Read the label for the dosing--it gets pretty expensive to take enough of it.

14. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Sorry to disagree, but I have never had a cold end after a week. Mine always ends up with secondary infection in my chest or head, so this was progress for me. You may not contribute my quick recovery time to the Elderberry or airborne, but I do because it was the only thing I did different from previous times.

15. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

Immune support can help alot. How much C are you taking. THe USRDA of 60mg is a josk, arrived at without any real science behind it. to maintain health, a person needs a gram or two a day (1000 - 2000mg) and if if ill that dose can be doubled. Some of the C does not make it throught the digestive tract. IV C is a wonderful tool but VERY FEW MD"s will do it....despite it;'s effectiveness.

WE take 2g of C a day adn when ill up to 4g more per day for the duration of the illness. There is some concern about taking megadoese for too long, but no documentation to contraindicate 4-6 g for a week or two during illness (that I am aware of) Ther can be some GI upset, but that diminishes with increased dose.

Elderberry is great, but expensive.

ANy fo the immune supporting herbs can be beneficial, and you can add soem xylitol to your neti pot. Use cooler water in the pot too, it isnt' as comfortable (cooler, not cold) but can decrease swelling.

Chicken soup has antibacterial properties.

Another thing that we have here is the following:

Take a bulb of garlic and mince it/crush it and add about twice the volume of honey to that. Sir and set in a dark,cool (not cold like the fridge) place for a week, stiring/shaking 3x/day. After a week, heat gently (NOT hot, just warm enought to easily strain teh garlic out)

take 1 tbsp 3x/day for duration of a cold. It tastes kinda vile - but goes down well, and helps alot.

One other thing...take your weight, in lbs and divide by 2. That's the number of oz of water to be drinking a day, water, not other drinks. AND for every ounce of another drink, you should chase it with the same volume of water. (Drink a 8oz glass of orange juice, drink 8oz EXTRA of water).

A friend once told me that when she starts getting ill, she starts to drink an 8oz glass of water every half hour (seting a timer) for a day or two and the cold never comes. I tried it, at the dfirst symptom of a cold ,and the cold never came....

Hope that you find somethign in there to help.

16. Hummingbird

You guys are great! I truly appreciate all the input. I'm trying assorted things from all of you. Will keep you posted!

Nance

17. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Hummingbird I'm glad you posted this. I've had about the same symptoms for almost a month now and I'm getting real tired of this.
    Thanks for all the posts. I plan on trying some of them.
    tyusclan momma

18. prairiebird

prairiebird Well-Known Member

We've started eating according to Nutrional Traditions, by Sally Fallon for some time now. Kinda goes along with homesteading:)

Toss out all processed foods...especially store bought milk, and it's products. Better to have none than to put this poison into your body. After drinking raw milk for two months, we ran out. I went and bought some store milk. My ears began to hurt immediately. THey felt 'stuffy'. No more. If we cannot find the raw, we'll so without.

You may want to stay away from grains until symptoms clear up. And when you do bring them back into the diet...do so slowly...and use fermenting grains to help your body to digest them easier.

Instead, fill your diet with high quality (preferrably grass-fed) meats...with their fats, raw milk, organic vegetables and fruits, hot teas and purified water.

Blessings,
    robin

19. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

You might have a sensitivity to a food.

I have suffered with allergy/sinus/asthma problems for years. Last year I went to an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor, because the persistent laryngitis was very annoying. He prescribe several different medications that worked pretty well.

After hearing about it on the radio, I read the blood type diet book. I decided to eliminate one thing at a time on the list of things not to eat. I eliminated wheat flour products for 3 weeks and did not take any medication during that time. I felt great and had no symptoms.

I fell off the wagon two days in a row and ate pizza and wheat bread and my allergy/sinus symptoms returned.