SInking in Sink Holes Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oldmanriver, Sep 6, 2004.

1. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

Anyone know a cheap way to plug a sink hole We have several ??

2. dscott7972

dscott7972 Well-Known Member

We have always just piled brush and rocks in them but only one have we intentianally "plugged", it was small enough to put a large slab of limestone (very abundant here) and have leveled it with dirt (it wasn't very large dip in the ground) and has been fine for several years now. If you have any adventure in you tie off a rope and climb down and explore, I once found a larege room of cave doing this.

"Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else"

3. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

I never thought of a sinkhole as something that could be enjoyable. After seeing my first sinkholes in FL swallow up houses and cars and now in VA they have huge ones too!

I suppose if I could find one that had a cave under it, I could consider that an instant root cellar!!! I could use a root cellar!

Hubby is always telling me that there are too many tree roots to try digging a cellar here.

4. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

most sink holes are nothing more than caves that the roof has collapsed. Granted some may not look like caves (just small aquifers carrying water and such) but...

5. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

most sink holes are nothing more than caves that the roof has collapsed. Granted some may not look like caves (just small aquifers carrying water and such) but...

also you want to check with you conservation or water resources dept before doing anything to the sink hole (other than fencing it). Quite often there are hefty fines associated with doing so; due to the fact that it could contaminate ground water.

6. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

do like they did up the road from me - fill it in with limestone and dirt and tamp it down a bit and build a subdivision on top of it

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Sounds like this whole county! I can't believe the places they build houses around here...and they can't build 'em fast enough to keep up with the buyer demand. What's wrong with people?