Single row seeders

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Carol K, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever used one of these before? I'm wondering if they are useful? worth it? and do they work?
    You can view what I mean here

http://www.seedland.com/Merchant/me...&Store_Code=Seedland&Category_Code=GAR-SEEDER

These are the 2 models most widely used, but I can get better prices on them, this url just showed both.

Would appreciate any feedback from people that may have one or used one.

Thanks,
    Carol K

2. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

I have the earthway seeder, works very well for vegetable and flower seeds. I bought the additions discs for it. With time you get a feel for what seeds work in which holes, even if if they aren't labeled for it.

Michelle

3. Carol K

Michelle, thanks, what extra discs did you need? And how many more are there that don't come with the machine? Glad I found someone that has one :)

Carol

4. [I have had an earthway seeder for years. Very pleased with it. Cuts planting time of corn, beans & peas by 95%. Also I have better luck with seeds coming up as the seeder packs the soil over the seeds. Get one, you will like it.
    Mike

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Another vote here for the Earthway--less seed waste, better spacing than by hand, and it does three jobs at once-dig, plant, and cover.

6. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Earthway. I picked mine up at an auction, with extra plates, for $9.00. What a buy!! We've used ours for all the standards except sweet corn which we plant with our corn planter. Even my husband was happy with the Earthway.

7. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

Carol, I think it came with originally about 5 or 6 plates. I bought the "optional seed plates", I think from Johnny's in Maine

But, like Polly noted, look around for one used: trading post, ebay, etc.

8. Carol K

Thanks to you all, now I'm more than happy to get one as I know they work!! Now to look for a used one, I did see the other type as low as $45, but I'll see what I can find used.

Carol K

9. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Well I guess it is time you heard another opinion, other than a positive one.

I have used both the Earthway and Lambert small push planters. For large seed they are fair at best. For small seed they slober the seed in so willy nilly that you have LOTS of thinning to do whether you have used the proper see plate or not.

Another disadvantage to the units is that you have to have extra seed just to "prime" the hopper since it won't use it all and still feed properly. I really don't like to buy three packets of seed so that I can plant one, not at todays prices.

Maybe I am just too picky as to how things are planted, or maybe just used to the precision of farm planters.

Anyhow, my opinion is that I have had both a Lambert and an Earthway planter, and the best place for the one I currently have is overhead in my garage. It came from my parents estate. I tried it again three years ago after a hiatus of several years--my opinion hasn't changed though I've aged and am a bit more creaky.

Disadvantages.
    The units must be held upright when filling, etc. as there is no stand to do so for you.
    For seeding large areas you must carry extra seed with you as the seed hopper can only be filled about half full since the plate feeds out the side of the hopper.
    I found the drag/closing chain to be too light and had to add some stips of lead for heavier soil coverage over the seed.
    You have to walk spraddle legged to avoid walking on what you have just planted.
    The soil has to be really clean of larger vegatative matter or it will build up in front of the furrow opening leaving a really big furrow, and makes the unit push terribly hard.
    There is no way to change the seed spacing.
    The marker is okay, but there is no way to hold it up when moving the unit unless you modify the planter.
    The furrow opener is dull aluminum which tends to let damp soil cling to it so that you are continually cleaning off the opener to prevent LARGE furrows.
    Handle bars cannot be adjusted for the height differences of users.
    To empty the hopper when changing seed it is easiest to dump from the front edge of the hopper. To do this you basically have to bring the unit up and over the front wheel. It would be a simply enough task, but you must keep that wheel from rolling the unit forward while doing so, and at the same time also hold the catch package or container.
    Of course while you are doing this you also have to contend with the marker flopping from side to side unless you have modified the planter to hold it. Remember these are my opinions.

Now if you want a REAL planter take a look at the Stanhay precision planter. Very expensive unless you figure the cost over a LIFETIME of use. You will save enough seed to eventually pay for a unit. No extra seed needed to prime the hopper with those babies. Thinning, you can nearly forget it A seed belt is punched to the size of seed you have and for the spacing you want. There are still seed spacing options with pulley changes. Want to plant three rows of radishes side by side? This planter will do it with the proper seed belt and shoe opener. You can even have the center row with a smaller population since it will get less sunlight. Have the belt punched so that the three seeds aren't side by side, but staggered like the five dots on a dice. Direct seed all sizes of seed from broccoli to squash. They are the units that can do it. Market garden? These are tough units. Put one on a toolbar behind a tractor and have at it.

There are planters, then again there are PLANTERS that will do the job. Of course just an opinion of the opposite sort. I've dared to be different for a good many years.

10. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I got an Earthway at junk auction. Works fine although it looks fragile. Saves lot of planting time. I mostly use it for sweet corn. Trouble is it came with full set of plates but they disappeared out of a garage when I lived a short time in KS. Dont know if some kid picked them up to use as frisbees or what. I only have sweet corn plate now because it was in the planter at the time.

The place given in the link above has them for $15 but wants extreme amount to ship such a lightweight thing. If somebody finds a link to somebody offering standard set of replacement plates (not optional plates) for more reasonable total price please post or PM me. Seems like I did find such a place maybe 3 years ago then procrastinated and lost the catalog. By way I cant remember exactly what is in standard set anymore, but would like to find plate for turnips and one for soybeans. would those be in standard set?

11. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

I've used the Earthway for years, and it has done just fine.

You want to plant a larger space, like two or three acres, then you might want to look at a Cole single row planter, that goes on the three point hitch behind your tractor.