single piggie

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by arnoldw, Feb 8, 2005.

1. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

One of my sows ferreled this morning. 1 single pig about six inches long fully developed but was still born. This was her first litter. The sow is about a year old. Im sure she didnt eat them. She is in a farrowing crate and I watched her all day. Iwas there when she had the first and no more. Has this ever happen to anyone else. Is she a sausage cannadate?
    Arnoldw

2. arnoldw

arnoldw Well-Known Member

Hi All 2 of my other sows farrowed today . One had 11 all alive and secound has 9 and 7 alive. All breed to the same boar as the sow that had 1. This has me so disturbed. I lost babies before but I have never had a Sow have one piglet. Anyone have any Ideas.
    Arnoldw

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Since this was her first litter I would probably give her one more shot. If she has a good litter the second time, fine. If not she goes into sausage.

4. Mulefoot

Mulefoot Active Member

Arnold,

Do you vaccinate for lepto? Lepto can cause pigs to have extremely small litters and smaller piglets such as this. Other sows could have it but it doesn't seem to affect them.

I vaccinate my sows and boars before breeding with a parvo-lepto-erysipelas combination vaccine.