single cow stall

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by minister man, Mar 20, 2017.

1. minister man

minister man Well-Known Member

I grew up on a dairy farm with Holsteins we shipped milk. I recently bought a jersey heifer calf, because my daughter enrolled in 4H dairy. Anyhow, now we dream of keeping her as a family cow. No she is not a lone, we also have horses....... Anyhow, I don't want her in a pen in the winter, too hard to keep clean. I am not going to build a freestall for one cow. When I was a kid we had the cows in wooden stanchions, not going that way, so that leaves me with either a steel stanchion, or a tie stall........ I know that the jersey will be smaller than a Holstein, so I am wondering what dimensions I would need for a tie stall? Or maybe you know of a better way.

2. FarmerJoe

FarmerJoe Well-Known Member

I would think that the stall would be harder to keep clean. All the manure in one spot, everytime she lays down, she lays in it. In the stall barn , we scraped behind the cows several times a day. Holstein stalls are 4' x 6'. So jersey maybe 6" less on both dimensions?

cfuhrer likes this.

3. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

I put a tie stall in one end of the garage a few years ago. Made it 4 foot wide. Had a smaller milking shorthorn I kept in there. Worked fine.
    I put a thick rubber mat in there and cleaned and bedded it 2x daily with straw. I parked a manure spreader in the garage stall to put the used bedding in. I waited till spring to haul the manure but since it was mostly bedding I probably could have hauled anytime I could get on the field. Or I could have just put it in the wheelbarrow and hauled it out to the garden.

soniaramberger likes this.
  4. francismilker

francismilker Udderly Happy! Supporter

I made stanchion gates with a 7" closed width. It works well with my jerseys.

soniaramberger likes this.
  5. minister man

Thanks for all the help

6. minister man

Sammyd, Was your stall built like a horse stall with soild walls? or more like a cow stall with pipe dividers? any chance you might have any pictures? Did you use a stanchion? or a manger?

7. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

I put in a regular tie stall that I bought from these guys http://www.freudenthalmfg.com/
    I left a nice space in front of the stall for a manger with enough room to put a heated water bucket in it as well as feed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. minister man