since we lost it I want to bring it up again

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Firethorn, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Family looking for an inexpencive house to rent in Idaho or Montana. On a farm, ranch, or homestead as extra help or as caretakers.
    Please if you know of such a situation, let me know through PM. :D
    We are looking because we wish to make our home in one or the other state and it would be best to live near so as to keep an eye out. Also want to learn what others know, hence the helping hand. DH is an excelant welder and can fabricate anything. He can also do fenceing. We are young and strong, willing. We ae a christian family. I stay at home with the children and we unschool. We would not expect the same in the people we would be working for/with. We can provide many referances, both personal and professional.

2. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Montana and Idaho are beautiful. I wish you and your family luck in finding the perfect place. :)

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I see we lost our RE networking forum poll....

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I don't think you will find anything inexpensive in Idaho. Prices are sky high, including rent. I have a teeny little one bedroom place in town that has (sheets of) newspaper for insulation and it is reasonably rented (by me) for $450 a month. It seemed high when I moved in, now I can't find anything even close in price. As for land, you can hardly get even a shack on land with utilities (or even without them) for 100K or less. The budget places seem to be starting at 150K. I am not exaggeating. Meanwhile, the wages are low, employment limited, and the growing season is short.

5. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

:flame: That is ridiculous! :flame:

6. Firethorn

This is one reason we offer to work for our keep. But I have looked on the net and their are pplaces that sell for less.
    In what area are you? I know this can afect things as well.

7. slowsuki1

slowsuki1 Well-Known Member

i have did alot of reserch on moveing to idaho and montana myself. i have to say i was shocked at the price of land in both states,but i did find a few parsels of land resonably priced but were veary remote.

8. chamoisee

yeah, there are a LOT of people who'd like to caretake. I see and hear about people looking for the caretaking/work for keep positions all the time. The positions that I do see offered usually want either a couple with no kids or just a single person, and you pay in addition to helping out....this is no good for me, since I've got kids, and I can't afford to work outside the home, work for partial rent, and then work with all the kids, too? Noooo........ :shrug:

I'm in the panhandle, but I think land prices are fairly high in most of the state. Maybe not as high, everywhere, but high as a rule.

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I've thought about the possiblity for adding help in the future if I get the grade A dairy. I'm not looking now and may never need additional help but I've thought about it, in case. It wouldn't bother me at all to hire a single mother with children- I have been one most of my adult life- and would in fact offer it to a single mother first. I hope you find the position you are looking for, I know that others wouldn't mind, since some of these positions would be so beneficial for children as well.

10. Firethorn

Now I have spent alot of time on the net looking at property and jobs. Both states have afordabl land. Not 1000$ an acer but that is hard to find anywhere. AS for jobs, Idaho is doing fine. I guess it depends on what you do. Dh is of the mind nothing is to good for him if it brings in the $. But he is a wounderfull welder and has the very best work ethics as his letters of recomendation show. In montana the work is a bit harder to come by, but it is growing, and were there is growth there are jobs.
    it makes me wounder. Alaskans like to give the very worst report on land, weather, jobs, and expences to keep people out. Might that be what is going on in Idaho.
    Well if so, that only works on the kind of people you need to keep out of the state. :rolleyes:
    C.

11. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

Just got back from helping my BIL move to Sandpoint Id....we looked at property up there and were amazed by the prices. He couldn'd afford to buy anything, so wound up renting. There are some affordable places way out (like most areas, I guess) but no work nearby.

12. chamoisee

I told you, I'm not exaggerating. The people who are moving up here (and I wish to heck they'd leave!!!) are the retirees from California and other places who have lots of cash on hand from selling their house and come right up here and the real estate seems dirt cheap to them. The current definition of a good deal here is 5 acres with all utilities and access (or, heck, even just a well and power and access) for under 100K. In the St. Maries area, it's slightly cheaper. If it were just $5,000 an acre, it would be OK, but things are going yuppie around here and it's insane.

If you don't believe me, then go to nickelsworth.com , it is the local thrifty nickel type newspaper that has a real estate section.

13. chamoisee

I read somewhere that Idaho women make less $ than in any other state in the union. Minimum wage is $5.15 an hour, and quite a few of us work at minimum wage. I'm extremely lucky to be making $7.60 an hour....many women here make less than that.

I don't know what most men make. My ex is a contractor/carpenter, he makes over $20...but this is exceptional and not at all common from what I can see. My bf makes just a bit more than I do, he has construction amd masonry experience, as well as extensive experience in other areas, and has applied for jobs all over the place. He is working in fast food...janitorial...it was all he could get. The lumber mills pay well, though...I think they start you out at $13 an hour. Hard work and occasionally people lose limbs and life.

14. Firethorn

About central idaho I have found 80 some acers for about 60 some though. No utilities and alot of it is mountain. Does not bother me. Dh was offered a jod welding and traveling durring the day bach home at night, makeing 13- 18 hour. depending on skill. Man felt dh could even be forman. Now that was 1 1/2 years ago but......
    I know things are tough there economy wise. Same thing is happening in eastern washington and montana. But some are making it and I have to believe we to can do it.
    I will add that we are open to Gods plan and we pray for it every day. If he leads us some where else we will go.