Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ran a batch of chicken eggs in our incuview to replace or laying hens. They are 4 months old and out of the 14 that hatched 10 are roosters:smack I have read that the bator temps can determine the sex but haven't seen what temps. Is this true? Or is it just a luck of the draw? I have also read that the hen will determine the sex if say there isn't enough roos around but I thought there should only be one. If I remember correctly ( and I rarely do )we could only put in 22 eggs instead of the 27 that they say will fit because some of our eggs are so big so it kinda cut down no our odds of having more hatch. We have some more chicks that are about 2 weeks old but of the 22 or so only 9 hatched so we will have to see how those turn out. Also we have had a few hatches from a broody hen and normally the roos are trying to crow by 4 months but not these. At what age do your's start to crow? We aren't supposed to have chickens the last time I checked but the neighbors don't complain and our rooster can't crow. So we gotta put these in the freezer before they get crowing.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Following along here as this summers hatch (broody hen) were 4 roosters, so I was kinda wondering if it was so hot that was the case... mine started crowing pretty early18 weeks or so but not too bad just the occasional funny beginners crow, they are really loud now though....(2 of our 5-total- went to freezer camp)...

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,850 Posts
The temp doesn't determine gender, that happens depending on the chromosomes at fertilization.

But it's got something to do with one gender tolerating higher incubation temps than the other, I can't remember which is which, so one gender is more likely to actually survive to hatch if temps are higher.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks aart I haven't heard that before I'll have to look in to that.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had a batch of sixteen ducklings this year, thirteen of which were drakes.

It happens. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts