Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nine years I am finally moving. To the nearest substantial town...library, interesting classes, new people and less expensive commuting. I've survived the move of my oldest to Seattle and am preparing for the youngest to go away to college in a year.

I am divesting myself of 'things' at a rate that surprises me. My 'free' table in front of the apartment empties fast :nanner: Did I really think I would make a braided wool rug? The bags of woolen strips, book and braiders went fast on the free table. Good thing...they sat in my closet for two years...never had time to get to them. All the fabric for the quilts I planned to make someday were given to a friend who really will make those quilts.

The dehydrator and canner stay with me...I'm not parting with those for love or money! Now, I will have more time to devote to them. My work schedule (58 hours) a week will be whittled down to 42. I'm looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
I took the handles and gauges off my canners and sold them for scrap, fifty cents per pound.

homesteading blasphemy !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Best of luck to you, but don't sell your stuff short.. My wife and I just sold off a WHOLE lot of junk.. stuff we thought others wouldn't want.... We had a big indoor sale and sold off a few thousand dollars worth... much of it was at $1 or less... Things we were going to throw in the trash..

We even brought old trash from the new place we bought back to our old place to sell...

If you are giving it away, then it's no different than standing at the trash can dropping dollar bills in it..

Moving and selling off what we considered worthless was an eye opener as to what people will waste money on..

As an experiment we even set some things out and put FREE on it.. no one took it, so the next day we put $1 or even a few items $5 on.. and I'll be if it didn't go almost immediately... Seems some people's pride is too good for them to accept something for free.. That's fine by me, because it was more money in our pocket, and moving isn't cheap..

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Liberating isn't it?!

Destashing fabric is a serious level of minimalism! Dang I'm impressed!

At one point in my life I was traveling around working at campgrounds and literally everything I owned fit into a Rav4 or on the trailer behind it with my motorcycle. I lived in an amazing portable dome and my only furniture was an air bed and a folding chair. I loved it!!

Wishing you freedom and all the joy that can come with it!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Elkhound: Around here old canners go for $5 to $10 at the sales. It simply was not worth the gasoline to haul them to a sale. At fifty cents per pound I got about $5 for each of them.

I kept my pressure cookers, but recently I saw one with a new twist. One of mine has a 3-way gauge, 5, 10 or 15 pounds. The other has a fixed 5# "rattler" knob. The new one I saw is a single-pressure cooker, but it has holes bored in the rattler so that it spins rather than rattles. The proper adjustment is just barely rotating. Neat. The newer ones (one of mine has this) have safety locks too; you cannot open them if they still have steam in them. The Idiot-proof factor.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it has been liberating! If I can let go of most of the stuff I've had for years imagine what I can get rid of metaphorically? Like old ways of thinking or holding onto past events and emotions that happened long ago. Agree with selling what I can but prioritized time and sanity LOL.

B

·
0 Posts
Hello...my name is Lesley and I save everything..:) by "everything" I mean birthday and Mother's Day cards , school papers, flower petals from 1974, 3 boxes of Christmas decorations that I've hauled all across the country since 1973...things that one simply doesn't find anymore in stores..like a hot water bottle cover which is a furry bear...a manual can opener that refuses to die...a pet rock...a box of perfectly good clear plastic spoons...LOL...

Someday, when I die, my children will roll their eyes as they survey the tangible remnants of my life...oh well..:)

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
...a manual can opener that refuses to die...:)

Do you have ANY idea how hard it is to find a GOOD manual can opener? That will LAST?

Hold on to that thing, it's worth a mint!

Mon

·
newfieannie
9,631 Posts
Whoa! Lesley's got a pet rock! I guess you could call mine a pet. been with me since 46. my sisters and I all had a beach rock we use to heat up in the oven at night before bed and then wrap it in a towel for our bedwarmer.

it's funny. just about an hour ago the guy that did my snow shovelling last year was out in the yard and he saw it and being from the same little hole in the wall ask if that was what it was. he couldn't believe I still had it. I put some buttons on it for a face for summertime in the rock garden and bring it in about October. I use an electric blanket now of course but I'm paranoid about my rock!

been cleaning up here today too. got 9 half cans of paint and one full one so far to take to the recycling place tomorrow. trying to clean out the little room under the stairs. I usually get in there when we are expecting rough weather. i'll soon have room enough for a mattress. might as well be comfortable while I wait it out. packing up some more sweaters to take to VV. some stuff i'll never get rid of like letters from mom and dad. I've got boxes of those. I collect a lot of stuff anyway like love letters from WW2. etc. etc. my son will probably dump everything. ~Georgia

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Hello...my name is Lesley and I save everything..:) by "everything" I mean birthday and Mother's Day cards , school papers, flower petals from 1974, 3 boxes of Christmas decorations that I've hauled all across the country since 1973...things that one simply doesn't find anymore in stores..like a hot water bottle cover which is a furry bear...a manual can opener that refuses to die...a pet rock...a box of perfectly good clear plastic spoons...LOL...

Someday, when I die, my children will roll their eyes as they survey the tangible remnants of my life...oh well..:)
True... All true... LOL

Reactions: TxMex
1 - 14 of 14 Posts