Simple Way For Gardener to Set Up a Single Hive 4 Garden

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by MsPacMan, May 12, 2005.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Is it practical to bring in a few bees, maybe a single hive, if I don't want to get overly involved in beekeeping?

I guess what I was wondering is if I could just stick a hive somewhere on my property, and then let the bees live in it and just not do a whole lot of other stuff myself -- just let the bees "do their own thing," so to speak. Minimum of maintenance, from my standpoint.

I mean, I'm not really interested in beekeeping, per se, it's just that I want good pollination for my vegetable garden and fruit orchard.

Is there a "beekeeping lite" process that would allow me to maintain a hive without becoming a full time beekeeeper?

If so, where would I learn more? Where could I purchase the hive, and what equipment would I have to have? (I'm on a budget here.)

Is there a certain time that bee hives can or cannot be relocated?

Thank you in advance.

2. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

Due to the pests and diseases of beehives, you cannot just leave a hive alone all year and expect it to survive the winter. You can, however, set up a colony, check in every two weeks, make any adjustments that need making, and then leave the hive alone for another two weeks. You will need to buy a hive, which would cost you around $200, plus bees, which is about $75. Then you'll need a veil, $15, a smoker, $25, and hive tool, $10. Then you will need medication for the hive as needed. You should also get a beekeeping book. Beekeeping is not a cheap thing to start up. You could build the hive yourself, which would cost you less. There are also used hives for sale currently on Ebay. Looking at the expenses here, and seeing as you're on a budget, you might be more interested in getting some orchard mason bees, or bumblebees. These are much lower cost and mainenance, but you don't get any honey. I wouldn't know where to get them either. Maybe a google search would get you that answer?

justgojumpit

3. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

How about letting a beekeeper put a hive on your property? They do all the work, incur all the cost, and you have bees to pollinate your garden. Plus, more than likely, the beekeeper will give you a jar of honey for the privilege of using your property. There are a lot of local beekeeping associations in TN. Might be worth finding one near you and giving them a call.
    http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/locals.htm