Simple Truth

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NWSneaky, Apr 19, 2005.

1. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Many drugs are labeled only for certain animals, not because they are not safe or effective, merely because UNCLE demands so much testing and so much expense only the major target market can be certified.

e.g. To worm a baby human with 'wormer' costs about $100 and the doctor's fee. Ivermectin can do the same, exact thing with a simple, topical rub on.

2. hatwoman22

hatwoman22 Well-Known Member

Ok STUPID I know! but humans have worms???? No one ever told me that!!! I never could figure out why all other new born warm blooded animals would get them but not humans!! Learn something new everyday!!

3. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

It is my humble opinion that this is a very irresponsible thread and should be deleted immediately. So.. do I rub injectable Ivermectin into my baby? Oral? Do I dump the whole bottle on the kid? What are the likey allergic reactions? And what are the consequences when I rush my infant into the emergency room and tell them I dumped a wormer intended for cows, sheep, goats, and pigs on my kid in a seriously off label use?

You want to endanger your own kids, have at it... let's not encourage other people to do the same.

4. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Chill lady. I said it can be done. I did not suggest doing it nor that I would. I have treated thousands of critters, gotten the stuff all over me, and no problem.

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Animals eat off the ground. Soil can harbor worms. This is part of the reason proper rotational grazing and pasture management are important.

Don't get too concerned about humans and worms. If it were a big problem the drug companies would be advertising drugs all over the place in order to make another buck so you'd have heard about it long before this.

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

The way your thread was worded sounded to me like your were suggesting exactly that. I won't use ivermectin, but if memory serves me, I believe the label says to avoid getting it on your skin.

7. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

We had a local vet with cancer and the tregulad doctors gave up and gave hin 4-6 months. He started treating himself and lived 10 more years. Got to be a local joke ole Doc Ferstal is going to outlast us all. He proved he knew more human bioliogy than most doctors or vets.

mikell

8. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Perception is important. Your post should say "I am not suggesting use on humans; I have never tried this on a human". MHO

I'd hate to think of a newbie reading your Simple Truth, and doing it.

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

NWSneaky....What are you doing on here agin....trying to stir the pot again??
    IMHO I think you are :no:

10. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know what it would cost today, but I can tell you from experience, that my brother and I often had worms as kids. Mom kept nasty red medicine in the fridge to give us. Nasty, nasty stuff. Killed the worms tho. Of course that was in the days when she also kept a bottle of amoxicillin in the fridge too....

Country kids, pin worms. We ate dirt, ate dog food, didn't kill us either.

11. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Perception IS important! I thought this thread was about the overpricing of human medical care.
    Ivermectin is used routinely in Africa for River Blindness. I recall one of the manufacturers donated a ton of horse wormer.

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Animals eat off the ground and so do human children. Thus , they all are suseptable to worms. NOW DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But just for fun sometime look up the actual biological ingredients in some animal wormers and then look up the actual biological ingredients in human wormers...act surprised when you find out that many are the same chemical with a different name!

13. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

A pharmacist suggested using a certain flea-tick killing shampoo for dogs on the kids when there is a lice outbreak at school....much cheaper and worked just as well as it had the same ingredients. Of course, the schools sometimes require proof of treatment and want the empty bottle, but hey, if it is good enough for Tygrr, it's good enough for the rest of the family!

14. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

The United States is one of very few countries world wide that differentiate totally between human and other animal medications. While many countries just change the doses for different animals, we in America change the names and increase the prices for anything used on humans , mostly due to the original increase in testing required by the FDA.

15. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

My Dad called one day and asked what I was doing. I said I just got done worming all the livestock. He asked me if I wormed the kids, too. It is important for farm kids! I probably wouldn't use ivermectin on the kids, though, when I have Safeguard, walnut and other herbals around.

Am I the only one who used the same health kit for both human and livestock!?!?

16. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

....alot of "city" people get parasites too, they just don't talk about it......I had worms several times as a child, I don't remember being dewormed with meds, we did eat onions garlic and horseradish often.

I came back to add that most parasites [ie worms] don't cause long term harm unless the host is experinceing malnutrition.

17. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Aghhhh! Is everybody totally p.c. on everything?

18. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

I believe its called "thinning the herd"..... :haha:

19. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I lease a horsebarn to a college educated beautiful young woman and she took a dose of ivermectin as she thought she had some parasites. She told me that she believed that it worked to her benefit. She was smart enough to determine the correct dosage for her weight and experienced no negative consequences to date to my awareness. :)

20. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

The wormer I currently have for my dogs is labeled for humans: pin worms..It was on the shelf at the pet supply warehouse where many dog breeders buy their supplies..I use ivermecton also & several other out of label meds that I get at that store..The difference might well be the fact that we are professionals working with livestock rather than ordinary pet owners...I help where I can as I worked with a rescue that needed to "budget" care , but suggest some serious research when doing this.. GrannieD

'