Simple Pleasures

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Ohio, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Spent yesterday at the farm working. Hauled timbers and cinder blocks to where I want to set the new beehives. Dropped the tractor off at the mechanic. Cleaned up a lot of trash from the previous owner of the parcel we just bought.

So now to the simple pleasures.

I climbed up into the loft of the bank barn which is about 120 years old. The workmanship is awesome. With the late afternoon light streaming in through knotholes and a few gaps in the siding, it was like being in a cathedral or something. Just had to stand there and admire it. Of course, then I started thinking about what I would do with the hay still in there (probably about 30 bales or so loose).

Then I decided to go walkabout and check the trails and the dam before the sun set. Was coming down the path to the lake and stopped to ponder another potential lakesite (probably an acre and a half or so. Looked down towards the lake and saw a pair of either muskrats or beavers. I was too far off to make out which. Only saw their heads and then they dove under water (near the shore) and never came back up (waited about 10 minutes). Looked around for any sign of beavers at work but didn't see any.

As I started walking back from the lake towards the high pasture I startled 4 deer. They ran up in the pasture and were skylined to the east......just had to stand and watch them for a few minutes before they decided to move on.

Got up to the high pasture and and my cellphone picked up a voicemail from DW. Hike up to the north pasture to call her back. Got me to thinking about Green Acres and how they had to climb the pole to use the phone. I can get iffy connections from various parts of the farm but if I want a good one I need to go to the top of the hill. Stood there talking with DW and watching the sunset.

Hiked back down to the pickup and brought my sleeping bag and gear to the cabin to settle in for the evening. Lit the candles in the sconces. Then I realized that I had forgotten to stop at the store to pick up some grub. We don't keep much at the cabin over the winter. So I rummaged to see what I could find. I really didn't feel like building a fire. So dinner was...... a can of pineapple chunks!

There's no heat in the cabin so I got in my sleeping back on the old couch and got comfy. The neighbors downstairs started getting noisy. Guess they moved in over the winter. Not sure what they (it?) are. I banged on the floor a bit and they settled down. Went to sleep around 8pm. So quiet.

Woke up about 5am. The upstairs neighbors were making a racket. That squirrel family is sure noisy! The birds were starting to sing and as I peered out from my sleeping bag debating whether to go outside to relieve myself, I could see my breath. I was so nice and toasty in the bag though..... but when nature calls, people listen.

Came back and just laid there for an hour or so luxuriating in the sounds and trying to tell all the different kinds of birds by their calls. I could see big fluffy clouds through the window...they were moving real fast so I figured some kind of front was in the area.

I finally got up and started doing chores. The sky clouded up.

What are your simple pleasures?

Mike

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

The grass is starting to green up, a light green haze is spreading across the pastures, I have heard wild turkey call on the south end, in the forest ravines, a new cattle panel with poultry wire fence means the garden has a chance against the goats, pigs and chickens this year, a green house room on the south side of the house, is the best plant space I have ever had, we don't have a water bill, or a heating bill, or an electric bill. Both of the trucks are paid for, the peaches and plums are blooming.
    And the warm nights with a light wind and no bugs to bite yet.

3. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

From Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Mike this may not be exactly what you are looking for, and it will have to do for next couple of weeks, I gotta be here in the city. Maybe this is more like a “Computer” post. Oh well, here goes anyway.

I pushed the new wireless card ($49.99 CDN/about $37.50 USD) into our laptop at home, UNplugged the wireless router, UNplugged the fast ASDL internet connection.

And then, WAM, there were four other connections, all waiting and ready. I am now connected at high speed for NO cost to me! All around the City people are connecting in every location, at hotels, Starbucks, any café in the city. WOW - the electronic age is here - good or bad.

I am going to return the ASDL Modem and stop the $24.95 CDN a month high speed internet payments, and return the new Netgear wireless router ($79.99 CDN on sale - high speed type) that I just bought.

Now if I could only do this at the cabin - 660 miles north in the bush - I guess one day that will happen too.

For your further enjoyment, I will report some other "real" simple pleasures when we get back to the cabin over a very looooooong Easter trip to the cabin.

Alex

However, I will keep my ASDL for a week or so, are others' internet connections reliable, do they turn them off? I better check it out.

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Mike,
    I felt like I was walking right with you.
    I love those kinds of solitary pleasures--makes you feel like you are really one with the world------right down there on Walden's pond.

(The title to your thread at first gave me a slight feeling of alarm----------
    When I travel to a nearby, good sized city, my route forces me past an 'adult' business with a huge flashing sign-----"Simple Pleasures". I'm happy your thread was one I could relate with, rather than the 'other'.)

5. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Mike, I enjoyed reading your post.

My property is a two hour drive. I ache to spend every minute there now. When I'm not there I am planning my next visit. When I do go, I don't want to leave. I have a lot to accomplish before I can move there.

The used tractor I recently bought delivered Friday late AM. I loaded it on a trailer and took it to my mountain property. Its a small tractor, 16hp, 4wd, front end loader, tiller and scraper blade. First thing, I pulled a dead tree out of the ground and dragged it up a steep hill. Then I crushed it into pieces with the bucket. It took 15 minutes to do what would have taken all day by hand. I found some kind of animal den near the base of the tree. It could be a marmot.

I don't have electricity turned on or to the garage space yet, so when it got dark I turned on the propane camping lamp, cooked/ate a steak on the grill (forgot salt and pepper), and got into the sleeping bag. Whatever was in the garage with me woke me up at about midnight, probably just a mouse. Anyway I went outside and the sky was incredible - no clouds and you could see "billions and billions" of stars - what a rush. I just stood there like I had never seen the sky before. It was warmer outside than in the garage.

I assembled a bucket toilet. I have a bag of pet litter/sawdust setting right beside. My city butt hasn't found it yet - maybe next trip.

I noticed a subtle tint of green beneath last years yellowed growth as I drove back to Denver. Some of the seasonally dry stream beds are starting to show runoff now.

6. molly_clover

molly_clover Member

We live on 4 acres. When we bought the place it was a wreck, and on somedays I still think it is. A few of the simple pleasures is knowing that we own 4 acres clear and free, and knowing how small it actually is in comparison to the rest of the earth.

Another is our dog trying his darndest to catch the barn swallows. We really enjoy watching him run around bark at them.

7. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I just got back from a 4 day weekend to my place in SE OK. It's about a 4 1/2 hr drive, so I don't get to go nearly as often as I would like. Everything is greening up nicely & it was warm enough to sleep with the windows open. I got to do some target shooting with my new(to me) Ruger Mini-14. Great gun! Did some weed-eating & some mowing around the cabin & walked all 17 acres & checked all of the fenceline. We had the neighbors over Sat. nite for a cook out & we all ate too much & drank too much, & stayed up late around the firepit swapping lies, jokes, & gossip. We got to REALLY see the stars for the first time in a couple of months... without city lights. I got a good,long,look at my resident 12-point Grandaddy buck. My neighbors & I have agreed not to shoot him, but it was sure good to get a good look at him! I just wish I'd had a camera handy! I got to be up in the daytime & sleep in the dark for 3 nights! Those were my simple pleasures ! :)