Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something to keep those little hands busy. Who knows you may even get them hooked on basket weaving as a result. Funny how we trick the kiddies isn't it? :)

How to.............
http://www.jamboree.freedom-in-education.co.uk/w's%20craft%20corner/paper_woven_basket.htm

Looks like a direct link isn't working. You'll have to cut and paste, if interested.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Oh Oh OH! I remember making those in school. wow.....they were WAY cool. everyone loved to make them. Thanks for the post. I'd forgotten ALL about those!! :dance:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to see you found it useful. :)
Found it while looking for a site showing how to weave baskets using cording. Can't seem to find any sites giving "how to" for free. They all want to sell you a book or a dvd showing how. If I'm correct it's called "Ply splitting". Saw some great work by weavers using this technique ,but again no "free" instructions.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
yea gods, that's a hard one to find on the web. can't believe anything that is said to be so easy, isn't SOMEWHERE. but....haven't found it yet, either. :(

did find ply split group If you have yahoo account thing, you can read the messages (seem to have a lot of people willing to instruct) or you can join the group.

Have you tried kumihimo? Not hard to create a loom (really just a tall thing to keep the cords/threads separated.) and you make cords...very colorful, very intricate...or very simple. VERY relaxing :) and portable.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the heads up on the Yahoo group, did check it out. Doesn't seem very active, plus I think the owner is one of the artists trying to sell her books (go figure). I may just bite the bullet and practice what I preach and hit the local library for some books. Didn't take long to wake up and smell that coffee, did it? :) :rolleyes:

I have seen jewelry made using Kumihimo, not really my cup of tea. Maybe it was just the artist, but it looked "too busy" to me. She used several strands of eyelash yarn mixed in, I didn't care for the look. Perhaps I'll give it another look see, with an open mind.

I did find a "how to" for a yarn and cord basket that looks intersting. I may try it using rug yarn rather then knitting yarn, always looking for the cheap way out. LOL If anyone has any interest in it, here is the site............

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/desert2.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts