simple moneymakers?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by smlemk1, Apr 19, 2005.

1. smlemk1

smlemk1 New Member

I was wondering if there were any rarer breeds of goats that might be profitable just to raise to a certain age and then sell? Or sheep, or any smaller livestock like that. Something I'd just have to feed, then sell.

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

right now the best money is in meat goats, you can buy kids at about 15-25.00 each , and sell them 3-4 months later at about 1.40-1.60 lb

but the money per each , when you include the cost of feed is small, maybe 5.00 each, so the true money is to be made in volume....

my dad once told me something i have always found to be true,
    he said, you never really make money on anything you have to feed or fix.

3. Ksar

Ksar Member

Hi Smlemk1
    I agree meat goats, are an easy turn around. Off 5 nannys with 2 sets of twins a year, I can just about cover my feed bill for the entire farm. Here prices are high now, a young bottle buck can run you 50.00+, while a nanny can break 100.00, these are prime kids, not sickly's. If you fence good(electric :yeeha:) , goats are easy keepers. They carry for 5 months, and mine usually have twins. Your buck will decide the kids sex, while your nanny will decide how many.
    Another breed is the Pygmy's, they are small, and more for show and pets. Some have blue eyes. Just adorable as babies.

Dont know if you have a local auction close to you, but here rabbits, chicks, and ducks sell well. A couple of laying hens, ducks, and a small incubator can reap a reward, sold young. I hatch and then sell once a month, usually had close to a hundred chicks, at 1.00 to 2.75 each that adds up.
    And I am sure we all know how fast rabbits reproduce, even at 3 dollars a piece 10 would gross 30 bucks.

Unless you have a market for sheep, I would think the shearing and coat care would be to much labor.

What you want to do, I have been doing for 6 years. Its not always a profit, but it can pay for itself.

Kathy

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Here is a link to a list of all the rare farm animals, the ALBC, and how endangered they are and what breeds need most help. It's been posted here before, you may have seen it, maybe not. I enjoy perusing it from time to time....Diane

http://www.albc-usa.org/wtchlist.htm