Simple Living Magazines

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tngirl, Nov 19, 2004.

1. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone! I haven't been on this forum in forever. I was wondering if anyone knows of any magazines or newsletters that are based on simple living and/or womens' magazines that are about living like in the old days of femininity (npt feminism) and simplicity. I already know about Countryside, Country Woman, Mother Earth News, and Farm&Ranch. I've heard about that womens' magazine, Crowned with Silver, but the website doesn't have a page where I can subscribe. Are there any other magazines?

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

These magazines are not specifically geared to women but are very useful,
    Back Home, Backwoods Home, Backwoodsman, they've got some great stuff about simple living and making do with what you've got. Hope this helps.

3. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Wilderness Way is worthless. I wasted a years subscription on that rag. If you're into tree hugging and Indian worship and telepathic communication with animals it may be up your alley however.

4. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

Well, if you don't mind taking advice from a "feminist tree hugger "- I suggest you check out Harrowsmith Magazine http://www.harrowsmithcountrylife.ca/
    They keep a nice balance of practical advice for rural living in a modern world.

My other choice is Countryside (I subscribe in part to support the nice people who publish it) and I sometimes get M.E.Ns when it's on sale or I read it at the library. Country Woman has all those yummy looking food pages that make me what to raid the pantry, so I also just read it at the library and occasionally copy out a recipe (I'm a cooking feminist).

5. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

It does give an address and subscription price here:

http://www.crownedwithsilver.com/History

I would also like to know what magazines there are besides those mentioned....maybe something for a very conservative, home-loving person who likes the way things were done around 1900...?....particularly if it is geared toward women, it does seem to be true that many of the homesteading things are geared to men....or maybe that's just my perception...

6. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

If you haven't seen it already, catch "The 1900 House" on PBS, about a family who spend 3 months living like they did then. It's reshown now and then. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/1900house/

7. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

8. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

Sorry. My computer has been messing up the last couple of days. Thank you all for the suggestions!