Simintal Beef Cattle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by harleystyle1, Apr 25, 2005.

1. harleystyle1

harleystyle1 Member

Looking for some information Simintal Beef Cattle- I would like to start raising a small beef cattle herd. Last spring I purchased 6 newborn holstien bull calves but would like to raise a herd of beef cattle. I thought about Angus but have recently been told that the Semintal Breed is much more valuable????????? Looking for more info and comparison - I want an animal that will require little work. And preferably "polled" (no horns) I live in Wisconsin and am also looking for a place to purchase some calves of this breed or cows at a resonable price - Thanks

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I don't feel that Simmental is a more coveted breed than the Angus. I feel that Angus is a more solid breed that has greater calving ease and and few general health problems. Anything I've had to do with Simmentals hasn't shown them to have much in the way of calving ease or vet free days. The carcass on the Simmentals is more bone than anything else. A friend of mine who is a butcher reminded me that the Simmentals were originally bred as draft animal not a meat animal.

ksfarmer likes this.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

My experience with the Simmental is limited to a Friesian/Semmental cross bull I owned. The breed have been dubbed "The Gentle Giants" and if he was anything to go by, I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately I lost him to MCF but have his son which is only quarter Simmental but he has the same traits has his father and in four years has given me no trouble. Calving (to dairy breeds) has been trouble free with one exception and that was to a cross bred, small cow.

Having said that though, if I were to quit milking and go into beef, I would agree with wr and stick with either Angus or Hereford - and probably Angus. They are reknowned for their easy calving, low birth weights but good growth rates, polled and low maintenance, easier on the land if your in a wettish area that pugs, small bone mass but good muscle. From my experience with farming friends that have bred exotics such as Simmental, Charolais and Belgian Blues, they seem to have no end of problems with calving and feed (big animals have big appetites) and often get no more for them at slaughter than they would have done with an Angus.

Good luck,
    Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

We have some Simmental cross beef cows, but like Angus better. All of our purchased replacement heifers have been Angus or black-baldies. The Angus are extemely easy keepers and for whatever reason, the meat buyers here pay a premium for black cattle.

Ann

Edited to add ... why do we prefer Angus ... it seems like our Simmental crosses did not have the mothering ability of the Angus cows. From one extreme to the other ... some of hte Angus actually seem a little psycho about their calves but of the beef cows we've culled for poor mothering, it sticks out in my mind that there was a Simmental trend.

BIG however ... you could probably find Simmental cows that are just dandy mothers. I think that might be a heritable trait. And our cross cows, mixed with Holstein, might have picked up their lack of "broodiness" from the Holstein side. The Holsteins were quite variable in response to their calves. Some would walk off andl ieave it and others would bond with it. But not to the point of "breathing threats and murder" :yeeha: like some of the Angus cows.

Good luck!
    Ann

5. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

We have herefords and simmental charolais mix. I can tell you that our beef is all good from any of these cows. We have 2 large gentle giants that are s/c mixed. They are the most easy going (thank heavens they weigh 1200 to 1400 lbs) animals. Great moms, easy births (with one exception and that was weather related). Our herefords are well mannered also and excellent moms. I guess we just pay attention to the temperment of the animals as we buy them and breed them. The crabs are steered early for males and not bred for females. We have a real nice herd that even the kids go right up to with no problems. We even brush them.

The only problem I ever had with the s/c mix was when we were graining in individual buckets and I went to drop the grain in Faith's. My foot slipped so I fell forward and she tried to push one of the others out of the way at the same time. Instant Golf Ball over my sinus on the right side. It actually drained my sinus immediately! She didn't mean it and I was just not being smart :no:

My brother swears at the black angus - fence breakers - who knows. I like the temperment of the ones we have living here.

6. raetsch1

raetsch1 New Member

I dumped my brangus bull because he was a danger, he destroyed a gate a month, and could not be kept in the pasture. Angus cows were always easy to keep, but the bulls were more trouble than they were worth. My herd is mixed. A lot of Angus influence, some Charolais and other mixed, mostly large-framed cows. So I bought a Simmental bull and he is the polar opposite of the Angus. The most easy-going bull I've ever had. I am aprehensive of the calves he will sire. It is also more difficult because first time heifers will have to be separated and A.I'd to an angus or other small birthweight cattle. This year, it will be five to seven heifers taken to the vet clinic to be insemenated. On the bright side, with sexed semen, I will be able to continue to add new genetics to the herd through the first-time heifers, and if I ever get the facilities (a good squeeze chute with Vet cage), I may quit keeping bulls all together and just go to straight A.I. Still, no fences broken, and I intend to keep the females from the Sim crosses because of the milking ability of the Simmental, and gentle nature. I can't think of a more gentle breed.

7. ksfarmer

ksfarmer Retired farmer-rancher

Over the years I raised several different beef breeds. Angus, hereford, Shorthorn, Gelbvieh, Simmental, and Charlois. I would rank them pretty much in the order I just listed for a lot of reasons. Gelbvieh, Semmis, and charlois are much bigger framed cattle on the average, which means more feed required, more calving difficulties, and more handling problems because they tend to be wired a little tighter.. I never saw that they were any more valuable either.
    Herefords, and Angus were always my favorite and always sold near top of the market.

Allen W likes this.