silver, water storage and filtering

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tabitha, May 7, 2006.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

does anyone know the shelf life of water? I read someplace that on the old sailing ships some silver was placed in the barrel to keep it from getting foul.
    we have a cistern that is not attached yet to the roof. I would like to make a filter that the water has to go through before it goes into the cistern (which is nothing but the biggest septic tank available). I met a guy once who homesteaded in Spain and made a filter box filled with some fiber material that is used in bodyshops to protect against paintspray. does that make sense, does anybody know what I am talking about? I sure don't. He said he had the water tested and it was drinking water quality. I am thinking of putting a barrel over the cistern opening and putting some filter in it to catch the worst.
    we also have a well that used to be marvelous when we first bought the place, which has been some fifteen years. we found that ants always built a huge hill over our well and dropped a lot of debris into it, including dead ants. I thought wells have to be capped in a way that no surface contaminants can get in. when we moved here the water was very mucky and even smelled bad. It has cleared up but there is red fine silt in it now and we have a filter under the sink. that gets expensive.
    water is a priority for anybody. I do not like to be on city water and besides it is not an option here. a few months ago someone shot a hole in the water tower up the road. It looked like it was peeing. :p , makes you wonder what some crazy might think of next. .

2. Goldwave

Goldwave Active Member

Hi - techically silver is supposed to have such properties but I wouldn't risk it for the situation you have...there may be studies analyzing the subject but it would likely be an impractical approach. Although a silver well would be totally cool! But one never knows. Perhaps barrels used on old ships might have had other components such as pine tar or ? that worked in combination with some silver? I think those sailing rummies probably were drinking some pretty rank water and thinking they were lucky to have it though! I seem to remember reading about how awful the water on ships was....

I mainly wanted to post a comment because when I've seen this subject come up sometimes people start telling someone they should try consuming colloidal silver for various health benefits. Every time I see the risk of that, I want to alert that this is dangerous. If anyone suggests this to you in your conversations about the medicinal or antiviral etc. properties of silver, please do NOT let them convince you to try it as medicine.

The body cannot eliminate silver consumed in this way and it will collect under your skin; people who consume a lot of it develop a nasty corpselike coloration, which never goes away (from oxidized silver particles). It was used for syphillis etc. in Victorian times, which is why such people were described as gray-colored.

Just was worried since people often give "medical" advice to others without knowing there are dangers!

3. Goldwave

Goldwave Active Member

Oh P.S. I have been told that eating Ants is the Fountain of Youth; just a thought :)

4. FUNKY PIONEER

FUNKY PIONEER No I don't smell Funky

Yes silver has been tested to remove bacteria and contaminints. In fact most good water purifiers have it. So yes in therory it would work.