Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had gotten my corn seeds at the feed store this year, as I had done in the past. I got a little suspicious when the first ears I pulled looked more like peaches and cream than silver queen. I harvested off the first planting today, and I found quite a variety of corn, from peaches and cream looking to down right yellow corn. Now I like all kinds of corn for eating fresh, but for freezing I prefer silver queen or some other white variety. I'm a bit miffed, do they think we won't notice!!!!!! :flame: Susan

·
WV , hilltop dweller
3,613 Posts
if you "scooped" out of an open bin chances are you are the victim of children playing or someone "returning" seed to the wrong bin...pity you can't name the varieties as you may find a new favorite!

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I've planted "Bodacious" beside "Silver Queen" and a lot of the "Silver Queen" would have yellow kernells, but sounds as if you were given the wrong seed. If you had any left, go look at it and you can tell. Might have to wash the fungicide off. If it was just a few grains, you should not have mostly all yellow kernels.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Susan n' Emily in TN said:
I actually bought a single package clearly labled Silver queen. I am having yellow cornfor lunch, Is fresh corn bad for your keyboard????? :) Susan
Don't cha hate it when you get a kernel caught between you g and h?

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
You know this also could be the result of poor seed production practices. Corn might have gotten cross pollinated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
with all that pink powder on it it was hard to tell, and to tell you the truth I just ass... trusted that the package contained what it said it did. Did notice some larger kernels though. Should have picked up on that. Susan

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
I think we're going to have to start buying heirloom seeds so we don't have these problems and then save our own seed. I buy Arkansas Traveler tomatoes every year. Well this year I bought a nine pack and they are all the size of golf balls. It's frustrating. More cross pollination or they're screwing with things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.