Silo

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by landlord, Sep 10, 2004.

1. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

We have 3 silos. The largest one was built in the late 60's. It is about 70 or so feet tall and 20-24 feet across. Are they worth anything?

Sure would like to rid them if they are not being used. I have heard of people knocking them down like a tree using a sledge hammer and then hoping it falls where it is sposed to.
    I have found some old silo cement hunks, 1'x2'. I used them for a small patio.

I also thought of using it for advertisement beings it tops the trees and is visible from I-35.

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw a show on HGTV one time about someone who had converted a silo into their home.

3. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Rent it out as a cell tower.

4. landlord

Thanks...Good idea on the cell tower. But we are near the south approach (4 Miles) to an airport would that be a factor?

5. landlord

Thanks. My fear of heights would be a problem for a home, but DH would love it!!!

6. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

7. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

We have a small one 14'W that we took the door off, built an enclosed pen on the front of it and use it for our ducks & geese. The concrete floor keeps preditors out. They love it!

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

landlord, I tore an old silo down not long back.
    I took a sledge hammer and knocked 3 each 2 ft high sections of the wall out leaving 3 each (tripod like) support legs about 3 ft long. I then hooked the tractor, using several long chains, to the leg that was in the direction that I wanted the silo to fall. It was a large 4 wheel drive tractor and the leg did rip out and the silo fell as desired.

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Of course it's not unheard of for the things to topple down all on their own! A friend of mine lost his not so long ago. it was fairly new (80's) and it collapsed on the barn.......... he and the local 4h club had just vacated! Faint chance it could be wanted if offered free, just make sure whomever takes it down has insurance!

10. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Can you try selling the silo? One time the Amish stopped and asked us if we would consider selling ours to them. We weren't interested but it might be an option. Not sure what an asking price would be but worth looking in to.

11. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

I Have An Old Wooden Silo To Tear Out As We Speak. But, I Don't Know What To Do As I Don't Want To Kill This Old Beast From The Past. I Know Myself And Will Convince The Owner To Keep It At My Expense.

12. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

What type of construction? There is poured cement, block (typically a red silo), wood, steel (a few silver colored, mostly blue), and cement stave.

The staves can be used, & sold - but more labor to take down than they are worth, so rarely do you 'sell' a standing silo. The tractor & chain (loooong chain) as mentioned works well for them.

Poured concrete & block silos are more difficult. Esp the poured ones, wich have the steel rods inside the concrete. Ugh.

Wood can sometimes be sold. If still good, sometimes that old wood is worth something to someone.

The blue steel ones, if in good shape & not too big, can often be sold & moved more or less whole. However, demand is waining for these, as ag-bags are becoming more popular.

The steel rods going around are useful for re-enforcing rods on all types of structures as well.

Ah, but getting it down. That's still the big problem. I've heard of many people piling up straw/hay below, and taking down one stave at a time from the top. But, this is real dangerous!!!! Pulling out the bottom staves & let it fall, salvage what you can is the best way. Or get an excavator out & have them attach a chain at the top, knock out some of the bottom, and have them pull it over. It costs a little, but they have insurance.....

--->Paul

13. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

If I had one that was well built on good foundation, I'd build my own stone house around it making whole thing look like a castle with the silo a very large turret. Seems a shame to waste these solid old structures. Think of what it would cost to duplicate one today.

14. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

here's some ideas:

seal it and make a cistern - 235,000 gallons

stock it with fish

fill it part way and put a diving board on top

turn it into a bungee jumping pit

convert it into a giant telescope

make into a halloween chamber of horrors and charge admission - Some guy here did that on his property (no silo) and now its the only thing he does all year. It could look very dungeon like.

seriously though, the cell tower is a great idea, they may pay to stabilize it as well as paying a large monthly rental. They can hide the transmitters from view.

I like the castle idea too

15. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have a Harvestore...the blue steel ones. I thought about taking it down and using the rings for ponds to raise fish.

I should have. It's being used to feed cattle, but those things are just too expensive to mess with.

My BIL had a concrete stave silo fall over the day after he filled it.

If you are that close to the airport, they may take it down for you. There were a few on the approach to the county airport and they took them down so they wouldn't be an obstruction.

Jena

16. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

I was originally thinking a cell tower to lock people up in and was wondering why anyone would pay a monthly rental. :confused: Like the Tower of London thing. Just proves Granny right that I jump to some crazy conclusions. She said that I'd see hoof prints in the mud and go looking for zebras. :no:

17. landlord

Good responses, Homesteaders: thanks!!! I was thinking about a climbing wall, too. But my fear of heights cancelled that idea. The insurance would be exorbitant as well. The silo is built of cement pieces with the metal rods surrounding them. The largest silo has several of them on the lower half to support more weight. Is the stave, the cement pieces or the rods holding it together?

18. deb

deb Well-Known Member

Please be careful about knocking it down youself as that can be quite dangerous! Last year two brothers here were killed while they were taking down a silo on their farm.

deb

19. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

a guy not too far from where I live made one into a house to live in. the bottom part is the living room and kitchen then you got up a stairway to the next section above which is his bedroom then up to the third part which he installed skylights in and uses as a studio and library. Its really neat. of course he is young and don't mind climbing stairs LOL

20. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

The stave is the concrete piece typically with a lip on one side. Sounds like you have well-built ones with that many rods, typically then they can hold high-moisture or even shell corn too, but of course - just outdated for what one does now.

--->Paul