Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First silly question....
I have always bought my canning jars used. But need to buy new ones. Is a case of pints for $6.50 a good price? They are not plentiful here, not many stores carry them at all. These I found at Big Lots.

Next silly question...
I have flannel back vinyl tablecloths that we use everyday. It seems I can only wipe them clean for so long. At some point it seems it is either wash it or toss it. Can I wash it? I know not to dry it in the dryer, so no worries....I'm not COMPLETELY dense! LOL I was curious cause of the flannel. I wash my shower curtain but am not certain on this one.

Thanks in advance for the patience of my silly questions. :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Canning jars - I'm in WA State. I pay about $7-8 for a case of canning jars, sounds ok to me!

Table cloth - well, if it is wash it or toss it, I'd try washing it to see how it turns out. I'd be wary of heat, esp. if you try to dry it. I think I'd wash it cool and line dry it. Let us know how it turns out! Seems to me (no experience) it should be fine if it's the kind of cloth I'm thinking of.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yes you can wash the table cloth. I recommend that you either soak and hand wash in the tub or better yet in a pail outside. If you wash it in the tub just lift it up and attach it to the shower curtain rod to drip dry. Don't try to wring it or remove it from the bathtub or you'll have a wet mess on the floor.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
I've tried washing them, sometimes it works--sometimes not. Definitely DO NOT put them in the dryer. The problem is they get all wrinkled up and are hard to get flat again.

I usually wait til Wal Mart has them for $3 - $4 dollars and get a new one. It gives me a lift anyway. Kind of like re-decorating the kitchen.

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
I have one I've had for 30 years that goes into the washer. The flannel backing has separated somewhat from the plastic/vinyl part but other than being a bit lumpy its still works. Its now for picnic duty only.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,668 Posts
Twelve new pint canning jars for $6.50 is a pretty good deal. Hereabouts, I've seen them for $7 - $8.

NeHi

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I guess that I have to be the one to ask---What brand of canning jars?

Personally if I were to have to buy I'd probably opt for a major brand rather than an off brand.

Hm, is Golden Harvest considered an off brand?

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Golden Harvest sold at Dollar General and at Walmart,too as saw them yesterday...$6.88 for doz. pints, $7 pints at DG. I think they are lighter glass but never had any trouble with them. Prefer to use my Ball jars in the pressure canner.
A hint....if you have limited counter space a flannel-backed plastic table cloth is a wonder....I cover my big table and I can spread out on messy projects like apple peeling and not worry about my good furniture. DEE

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dee,
I have 2 dining ares...an informal and formal. In the informal one I can put the 2 tables together if need be for projects (we have 5 kids need LOTS of room for projects! LOL). And I do what you say, cover them with these table cloths. I buy 2 so that in my OCD mind they match and the tables don't look TOO strange pushed together. LOL

I thank you all for such great advice. I am eager to hear if these jars are a good quality now, never thought about that.
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Oh my, yes. Mason jars are pretty much the standard!

Throw the table cloth in the wash, on cold. If the backing separates it's not the end of the world. :)

There's no such thing as a silly question, only the ones un-asked ones. Don't ya just love the people here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.