Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took one of my wheels to my Lys for some work. They said I was spinning counter clockwise. I admit I get confused about it.

So if I'm sitting in front of my wheel, looking at it, if I turn the wheel to the right, is that clockwise? I spin right handed.

Also I've read that you start your wheel spinning using the spokes. You should use the top of the wheel to get it going. I'm curious if that's true and why.

Tia

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
You can spun either direction. Just do it consistently and ply the other direction.
And I always start my wheel with the spokes. Then I don't knock the drive band off.

·
Fiber Arts forum Mod.
11,519 Posts
Spinning your wheel to the right is spinning it clockwise, which is also spinning 'Z' twist, counter clockwise is spinning 'S' twist. It doesn't matter which way you spin as SvenskaFlicka said, just remember to ply the opposite way. I seem to always spin clockwise, for my singles.

I also always use my spokes to start my wheel, never had a problem.

Pearl be aware of people who speak in absolutes especially when it comes to fiber arts. Remember what we always say here, there is no right or wrong way, just a different way. If it works for you don't listen.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Marchwind!

I was sure that to the right is clockwise!! I know it's all a matter of personal preference, and always go the opposite direction to ply.
I'm just surprised they were so sure I was counter clockwise. I really went out of my way to make sure I am getting a Z twist

1 - 5 of 5 Posts