Silly goats and ice

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Karenrbw, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Karenrbw

Karenrbw Well-Known Member Supporter

Woke up this morning to about 1" of slick ice on top of the ice from Friday. It took about 10 minutes to walk down then up the short hill to the goat barn. Count once - 17 goats, count twice - 17 goats. Ok, lets go through the list. I should have known - its Little Bit. Little Bit is an almost 1 year old Boer doeling. She had issues when she was born and is only about 1/2 the size of her twin sister. She is spoiled rotten because we baby her. The barn is on a slight hill and Little Bit is at the bottom of the hill by the feed trough. Did I mention that Little Bit seems to be a little mentally challenged. Little Bit can hardly keep her feet under her, so it is rescue time. I found a rope, tied it to the corner post by the barn, got a leash and slid down the hill. Cinnamon, the big, always hungry boss goat sees Little Bit at the feed trough and thinks she may have missed out on some food. She takes off to the trough with her one year old daugther, Digger close on her heels. About 3 feet down the hill, they both lose their footing and look like the hippos on the ice skating ballet on Fantasia. I wrangle Little Bit up the hill with the leash and the rope - it take about 10 minutes. Digger is laying on her belly bellowing like she is being murdered and Cinnamon finally gets her feet under her well enough to stagger to the protection of the cedar trees. Since there is no way I can wrestle a 185 pound, highly pregnant Cinnamon up the ice slope, I have to make the treacherous trip back up the hill to the house for reinforcements. Armed with ropes and pulleys we make our way back to the barn. It is like ice skating on the driveway.
    Digger is still laying right where I left her and is the first to be rescued. It takes two of us to pull her up the hill with the rope on her horns. Cinnamon is a different story. It takes all three of us to manhandle her back up the slope to the barn. Doesn't seem to have bothered her too much, she ran in the barn to see if they were eating without her with the rope still on her horns. The funny thing about this whole situtation is that the feed trough is less than 35 feet from the barn door. I have never seen ice this slick and I bet no goats leave the barn again today. We are making the trek every hour or so to make sure no one is ice skating again.
    I heard someone on the highway north of the house while we were out there. I can't even walk across my yard and these idiots are trying to drive somewhere. Heard at least one stuck and spinning.
    We didn't take the cameras out because we didn't want them to break when we fell trying to make it to the barn, but we could have probably been on Funniest Home Videos with these.

2. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

Poor babies...I bet it was a site to see even if it wasnt funny I would have to laugh.Sorry yall are having such rough weather.

3. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

Poor little goats. I know it was difficult with the nanny, as I have one that a friend gave me a yr. ago that is like that. She is so afraid that someone is going to get some food and she will be all left out. I was allowing her to get her nutrition when pregnant, but I told her, now she doesn't get as much, her babies get most and she is teaching them to be like her :rolleyes: I can just imagine what it will be like when they start having kids :p
    She is the biggest one here, the billys aren't even quite her size LOL
    So, i just know it was a sight to see. Maybe, next time sit up the video cam :dance: Would love ta see that! :hobbyhors
    God Bless :angel: and be careful out there on that ice!!