Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we're in the city, in a large grocery store and it is packed to the rafters. Everyone looks half crazed.

"Rudolph The Red Nosed Raindeer by Gene Autry is playing.

I'm in the baking aisle, trying just to not get swept away when I find myself next to a man who, like me, is quietly singing! All of a sudden insanity hit both of us and we started singing together out loud.

After we started it, a few others stopped to sing a moment or two and we all went on our ways, feeling a bit less anonymous and a bit happier!

It helped! :clap:

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
I think I might have joined in, if I had been there! LOL!

NeHi

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would've joined in too! It's funny, I find myself doing all the things my mother did that made me want to crawl under a rock when I was a kid! I guess it's true that the closer you get to 40 the more you just don't care what people think! The day after Thanksgiving I found myself moo-ing along with a perfect stranger! I couldn't help myself, the way we were packed in there you couldn't help but feel like a cow at the stochyards!

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Hee hee don't feel alone,I do things like that all the time! Seems to happen most frequently when I am w/ my 13 year old daughter,for some reason! She just gives me the "I'm mortified you are my mother" look & runs away! I just run after her,& sing louder! :dance::nana:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Oh my gosh we would be in trouble if we were shopping together.
We were in China Town, in a little indoor mall and some salsa music was coming loudly from a store,well, I just couldn't be still! so I started to chacha and a man was walking toward me and started dancing with me, my boys were mortified! My friend was laughing but I was having a great time, we had a little audience and they all clapped when we were done. Now mind you, I'm not a spring chicken or a small mouse if you get my drift, but my anonymous partner didn't seem to mind, we were both smiling as we hugged and parted ways.
no words were ever even spoken, music, the unspoken language:)
So sing or dance and do it proudly!!!!!

·
Perpetually curious!
2,749 Posts
Reminds me of a few Christmas seasons ago I was out shopping. I'm always singing to myself and noticed more then the usual amount of strange looks but just shrugged it off 'cause I really don't care what people think about me. Once a song get's stuck in my head it tends to stay with me. Finally the checkout girl asked me (perhaps noting my wedding ring) what song I was singing (remember all the odd looks I noted earlier and the fact I sing outloud?).... It finally dawned on me that the last song on the radio before I entered the store, and what I had been singing ever since.... was "Slow Hand" by the Pointer Sisters. (I'm a guy)

I want a man with a slow hand
I want a lover with an easy touch
I want somebody who will spend some time
Not come and go in a heated rush
I want somebody who will understand
When it comes to love, I want a slow hand

Point being, I'm always singing and I would of been right there singing with Ardie :)

(It didn't bother me once I realized WHY I was getting the strange looks, I live in a very conservative area and accepted it with a laugh :p I told my wife once I got home and she had a good laugh over what was potentially going through the minds of our fellow townfolks)

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
There's been a news report the last few days about one of the super busy airports finding a way that keeps customers from going crazy angry with the long waits....they've set up karaoke stands along the way. Urging people to step up and sing Christmas Songs. And it's working! Lines are as long, and as slow....but the people are much more cheerful, and smiling.

there's just something about singing along....makes you smile :) Good for you Ardie! Song in your heart will keep you young.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wish I could have been there and joined right in there. My daughter used to make fun of me and said I could go any where and start up a conversation with a complete stranger. After we would leave she would ask "mom did you know that person?" and I would answer "no, why?". Now she is the same way at the ripe old age of 21. Just smiling at someone in the store can brighten some ones day. So keep it up Ardie

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
There's been a news report the last few days about one of the super busy airports finding a way that keeps customers from going crazy angry with the long waits....they've set up karaoke stands along the way. Urging people to step up and sing Christmas Songs. And it's working! Lines are as long, and as slow....but the people are much more cheerful, and smiling.

there's just something about singing along....makes you smile :) Good for you Ardie! Song in your heart will keep you young.
I agree!!
I love the karaoke idea - that could solve a lot of anger problems!

I love it when people get silly - I'm one of the worst to do strange stuff and I love to sing.

Keep it up Ardie - the world needs more happy people!:clap:

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hee hee don't feel alone,I do things like that all the time! Seems to happen most frequently when I am w/ my 13 year old daughter,for some reason! She just gives me the "I'm mortified you are my mother" look & runs away! I just run after her,& sing louder! :dance::nana:
Oh, it's sooo much fun to embarrass teenagers because they take life much too seriously!

My DD, Zookeeper16, remembers my antics far too well!

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Ardie said "I'm in the baking aisle, trying just to not get swept away when I find myself next to a man who, like me, is quietly singing! All of a sudden insanity hit both of us and we started singing together out loud."

No wonder business is down in the stores...how many windows did you break singing?;-)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Wish I could have been there and joined right in there. My daughter used to make fun of me and said I could go any where and start up a conversation with a complete stranger. After we would leave she would ask "mom did you know that person?" and I would answer "no, why?".
Oh my goodness--you and I could be sisters, Nana B!!! I do that all the time, and as I get ready to head out to the store right now, my MIL has "warned" me that we are NOT stopping at Target for anything as I always find someone to start a conversation with :D (I used to work there...)

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I tend to sing frequently, often without realizing it. I've had several occasions where strangers in stores would begin singing along with me, or comment that they really like the song. I frequently embarrass my children.
Dawn

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I love to do things like that just to see the stricken look on my daughter's faces. I definately would have joined in. LOL

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
LOL Sancraft I do that to my daughter at Blockbuster, use to bug her but now she just laughs and says Mom your crazy :)

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I vividly remember yodeling very loudly and very badly while driving with my DD practically on the car floor so nobody would know she was with me.

Loved it!

I start conversations with complete strangers all the time. It's fun!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts