Silicone Bakeware... Nope not for me.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Sep 29, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I notice the big thing this year is the flexible Silicone bakeware. I looked at it and all I could think was the headline 30 years from now...

Scientist discover silicone poisoning...

I will pass until it is a little more proven... thanks.

2. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I tried it anyway and the stuff isn't nonstick so my cakes break up when I cleverly try to flip the pan inside out. No benefit over my metal pans.

3. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

If you are using the non-stick pans, that isn't much better. 20 years ago bird owners knew not to use them because if you burned them, the fumes could kill off your parrots.

4. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I have looked at them and I was wondering about that. Also since my kitchen shelves are pretty pack I was wondering if they were left scrunced up (not quite straight ) for a long period of time if they wouls traighten back out. I just can't picture them being very good. I think I will stick to metal and glassware.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Yeah, and before you know it, some wacko is gonna tell us that grilled food can be carcinogenic!

6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

HA! They already have!! ;)

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I agree with those of you who won't use them. They kind of freak me out. Plus you have to use a pan to hold them up when using them. Why not use something rigid to begin with? I'll stick with metal, glass and cast iron. And no, I don't own anything non-stick.

8. Jared

Jared Active Member

My wife wanted them so I got them for her birthday. They're not non-stick at all. They are easier to clean, I'll admit. But her first cake stuck, as did her muffins. For the 100 bucks I spent, i'd say I got ripped off.
    jared

9. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

Handy as a soap mold though. Hardest part of soapmaking is not damaging the edge pieces (if you are anal and want good looking soap :) ) and a flexible mold works well.

I've seen molds that break down but heck, for $10 a 9"x9" square cake mold is a deal. Or even the loaf pan mold...actually that might work better anyway.

10. seedspreader

So CF you are saying silicone is ok just for clarification?

11. Cabin Fever

What I'm saying is, people know beyond a doubt that certain things can be bad for their health but continue to consume it because "we've always eaten it." But when something new comes along, with no track record that says it's bad, they aren't gonna touch it. In othe rwords, mademade chemicals: bad; natural chemicals: good. "No human diet can be free of naturally occurring chemicals that are rodent carcinogens. Of the chemicals that people eat, 99.99% are natural."

12. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Does that mean I better not grill my rat? :grump: LOL

13. MikeD

MikeD Well-Known Member

Go ahead and grill the rat, Marylin. Just make sure you don't use any barbeque sauce that contains Sucralose, Asparatame, Nutrasweet or any other artificial sweetener... ;)

14. Cabin Fever

Hee..Hee...most hypochondriacs don't realize that most "carcinogens" have never been proven to be carcinogenic to humans....just lab rats.

15. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

It seems to me that Silicon has been listed as a problem. Remember all those women who became ill from the implants? Just because we are not placing the flexible Silicone bake ware under our skin, does not mean that we are not ingesting a carcinogen. One of the major side affects of silicone poisoning that lead the FDA to removing the product from the market was SCLERODERMA; producing inflammation and an overproduction of collagen, the tough fibrous protein that helps construct connective tissues, such as tendons, bones, and ligaments as well as scar tissue. Do we really want to take a chance with this?

16. seedspreader

hmmm, might mean John Kerry and Joan Rivers wouldn't need those collagen injections?

17. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Oh, cabin fever, you are such a soil scientist :p .........and I am such a folk herbalist :p .....excuse me while I brew up some herbs, throw out my microwave and later go outside to shake my fist at the crop dusters. ;) LOL :D...........actually use the microwave every day......bad, bad herbalist.

18. MarkSykes

MarkSykes Well-Known Member

Caution on the glass: It's FULL of silicon dioxide.

19. seedspreader

cue drums... cymbal...

20. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

Well, no. I do remember all the media frenzy about it, but actual evidence that the silicone was the problem? No. There hasn't been any. It was just (as usual), easier and cheaper to settle than to gamble on a scientifically illiterate jury.