signs of the end

Discussion in 'Goats' started by LittleRedHen, Jun 8, 2006.

1. LittleRedHen

LittleRedHen Well-Known Member Supporter

Some posts mention that you see signs that they are getting close to kidding.

WHat do you look for?

This is what I notice on my pygmy goat. Her hip area is rising and the tail bone is coming down at a steeper angle. The vulva area is all pooching out quite a bit. I noticed her udder starting to develope around 5 weeks ago. It is HUGE now.

Last night my daughter and I laid her down to pet her and she had really loud noisy breathing. She has to be aching. They weren't moans but they were heading that way.. Just hard breathing. I would not be surprised if she is having twins. I feel a lot more goat parts in there than I felt with the single kid my last goat was pregnant with. The whole belly seems jammed where as last time there was a void area because it was only one. So I am guessing she will be having two!!.. I am excited now.

2. boermommy

boermommy Boer goats and teenagers

Look for pawing at the ground, getting up and down a lot, soft talking or being more vocal, looking around at her belly/tail a lot.

My boers also tend to rub along the fence when they are in active labor. The bad thing is some show all the classic signs leading you right into it and, then, some days, you go to the barn and there are babies you didn't even see coming.

GOOD LUCK!!!

3. LittleRedHen

The last time i had a goat go to kid, She resembled the looks of my current goat, except for that last minute bagging up. But as for signs of labor, there was NOTHING except loss of ligaments when I checked her at 8am. Around 10pm I was watching her and I couldnt imagine she could keep going so I stayed in the barn and watched her. Around ever 3 minutes, i noticed her tail stick up, stay up about 30 seconds and go back down. She didn't make any extra noises or anything. This went on for about 3 hours. It wasnt until the last half hour before she got noisey. Then she started making noises when her tail went up. She sat down a few times and I noticed the streaming which did not happen prior to that point. Then she really got loud and kept turning her head back to her rear and within a few minutes she was really screaming and then i saw hooves :p

But if it wasn't for me just patiently watching and waiting, and figuring out at the last minute what ligaments were, I wouldnt have had any idea she was going to kid that night. She didn't paw on the ground or anything. She pretty much went on like normal until the end.

I really would like more of a heads up this time. I would also like for it to be in the middle of the afternoon on a nice 75 degree day :p I would love for my kids to be able to watch too!! and twins.. a boy and girl :p llol

4. LittleRedHen

how much before hand do the yreally start paying attention to the rear and belly? I notice mine is turning around more often the last 24 hours.. and yesterday when she was seperated from the male goat, she "screamed" for him until she nearly lost her voice. Normally she doesn't mind so much when she is still out and he is put away but yesterday she was quite upset about it.

5. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

ligaments were an afterthought for us but once we started paying attention we discovered that if you pay attention, the do "disappear" just 12 hours or so before birth--we'd never birthed babies before this March and we were all agog looking and waiting and watching.

what worked was the actual babies being born--we had knew were close so we had kept watch every few hours for a week or so--we saw the red messy bag, called the vet because it had been awhile and our first freshener was getting nowhere after an hour or two. He said go in, my DH rearranged the babies and boom, out they popped. Now, a word of warning about our human kids--the 7 year old was fascinated, the 11 year old helped tremendously and the 13 year old stood in the corner gagging. Never know what you'll get!

Vanessa