Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of our does are 1st timers and the earliest any of them could be due is Aug. 24th, at 150 days. So, we are getting close to kidding time. However, I can't tell anything on these 1st timers. What does an udder look like when it just starts to fill out? I saw one yearling doe get bred and she is due on Sept. 13th and she doesn't look bred at all. Am I missing something or is there some small detail that could help me out? I pasture breed because my does are never flirtatious for some reason!! Possible due dates are from August 24th - November 20th. I'd come nearer to thinking that they'd be due sooner rather than later since it was so cool this spring and early summer. Thanks for your input!!

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
You should see some udder development in a doe that's close - going from teats flat up against the belly, to a little poochiness. That's my first clue. Their bellies don't usually start showing much until about six weeks before kidding, when the kids really start to put on some size. I've noticed that they show more belly "drop" than width to start with.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the one doe, that is due Sept. 13th, is a really tall and long doe so she could hide a kid in there. I have another doe that just looks a bit fuller in the back of her udder. It is kinda floppy....not just the normal floppy teats. I think she must be bred. I'm so anxious!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts