Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2 year old Nubian has dried blood on her vulva. Not mucous/blood but dark, red blood. She was bred in late October. She is not acting off in any way and eats, pees, and poops normally. She does get butted occasionally by the herd queen at feeding time. Is this a sign of abortion or possibly something else?
DC

·
Registered
230 Posts
It could be... I had one do the same thing this year. On the first day early in the morning she had a long muscous string hanging. by the afternoon there was no sign of the string.....in fact by 10:00am it was gone because my wife did not see it when she went to check on the goats.

All that was left was a yuckie rear end with some dried yuck.

The next day some blood appeared and dried as a plug which continued for three or so days later.

Take her temperature and see if she has any temp spikes. I watched the temp for 2-3 days...until spotting went away.
Normal should be 100-103.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
It's really early in your does pregnancy. Mine were also bred in October and abortions I would expect a very wet tail with maybe a streak of blood. Later on you have kids born, normal birth looking, normal birth, just no udder, and of course kids are unviable. Mid and late term abortions are usually disease. I do know of does aborting do to fighting, mostly it's being fought with, a friend of mine had to pen her sons alpine alone when the herd was bred, she would viciously ram into other does and cause them to abort, but normaly fighting in a herd rarely causes problems like this.

A temp on your goats should be 102, there are few does who are well with a good rumen that are 100, and few does who aren't black and laying in full sun who are 103. You would smell a doe with a uterine infection way before she had a temp spike.

Your stuck waiting and watching, and perhaps sending in blood in a few weeks to see if she is indeed still bred.

Blood can also come from the vagina (like a hemorid, cyst etc..) and it also can come from scar tissue on the cervic, but it would be a very small amount, smear. Vicki

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will go out and check her temp. I will have to take DH with me as she is not going to like this.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Temp is 102.2 and shes still pretty big in the belly. Shes not fat by any stretch of the imagination either.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
You have no size to the uterus with does just bred in October. Does look larger barreled when they are eating alot of hay this time of year. Vicki

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Vicki. She is eating a lot more hay since the cold and freezing temps have zapped the green foliage.
DC

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The blood was only there for a day but we are assuming she did abort. She still happy, alert, and being a pig with the Bermuda and alfalfa hay. She romps with the other 3 pen mates, and generally acts normal. We will know if she actually did abort in Feb as that's when she was due. Hopefully the Togg due in March will hold on to her kid(s) so we will have kids and milk.

IF she did abort, when will she come in heat again? Will I have to wait until fall since shes a Nubian?
DC

·
Registered
230 Posts
You may catch one or two more heat cycles this year.....mine that aborted is at the breeders now.

Where did you get the alfafa hay? I live around LR and couldn't find any....I would like to have some for my milkers this year if there is still any available.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
She will cycle right back, even if she had kidded (which remember with goats there isn't this emotional part of misscarriage like with humans) so put her in with the buck and let her bring her back into heat and breed her.

If this was part of any problem in the herd, another abortion of anykind, put her on about 10 days of tetracycline subq, for her and the buck and then breed her back.

Does who kid her in Dec and january always recycled to be bred back 8 weeks later. Nubian, LaMancha or LaMancha cross. Vicki

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may catch one or two more heat cycles this year.....mine that aborted is at the breeders now.

Where did you get the alfalfa hay? I live around LR and couldn't find any....I would like to have some for my milkers this year if there is still any available.
I get compressed alfalfa from Hersh feeds when I go to Thayer Missouri. You could probably get some at the feed store in Cabot if they are still there. I don't remember the name of the feed store but it was in the middle of town near the railroad tracks. Orchleins sells a alfalfa product thats mixed with molassas as a hay extender. This product is called T-N-T Chops as its chopped alfalfa. They also sell one thats mixed with Timothy grass. I have not tried either one of these other products. The compressed was $9 a bag/bale
DC

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wish I had seen this before I left. I went to Mammoth Springs the last two days and could have picked some up then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts