siding ???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, May 10, 2006.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i don't care for vinyl siding, for lots of reasons. partly because i don't like the idea of being encased in plastic, but mainly for enviro reasons.

local builder i talked to today sounded like there really aren't any sensible alternatives. if i want shingles, he said he'd put up vinyl siding that looks like shingles.

so, what i am asking is, what are the alternatives? i know about board and batten and like the look. is there any other siding besides vinyl? am i stuck with it, because nothing else is reasonable and available?

2. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

People in our area have had good luck with concrete/fiber siding. Home Depot sells the Hardie brand I think. It's concrete based, so it should last a long time. It takes paint very well. It seems sturdy.

3. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

I think the hardie siding is pretty excpensive isn't it?

Vinyl is about the cheapest you will be able to find. Anything else will be more expensive unless you can scrounge or find a deal on materials for more traditional siding.

4. River

River Well-Known Member

Marvella,

I really like the concrete siding available now. It seems to be very durable, won't rot or burn, and paint seems to stick to it very well.

River

5. claytonpiano

claytonpiano Well-Known Member Supporter

We LOVE our Hardie plank. We bought it at Lowe's, but will last much longer than vinyl and we can paint it any color. We put it up ourselves and saved a bundle.

6. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

As an occasional builder I understand his point. In our area vinyl has basically 99% of the market. Anything else is either much more expensive, or difficult to install at a reasonable price. I understand why a lot of people hate the stuff, but once you see how much more it is to install anything else, a lot of folks learn to like it. FWIW, my choice would be Hardie plank. Much more enviromentally sound and attractive.

7. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

8. marvella

thank you all! i googled hardie plank, and am still a bit confused. what is it made of? according to one article i found, it takes a special kind of installation that not everyone is familiar with.

i just might have to suck it up and use vinyl.

9. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we just started siding our house we are putting stone in the front up to the bottom of the windows then we are putting wavey edge red ceder the rest of the house

10. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think that Hardie board is made from cement mixed with sawdust.
    It has a good reputation around here.

Another popular one around here is a siding called Color Lock (or ColorLock). It appears to be some kind of dense pressed board. It comes pre-finished, and on our 10 year old house it still looks fine, and we live in a climate that is tough on siding (Montana). All the exposed wood on my house has needed maintenance or replacement, but the ColorLock is doing fine. It looks pretty much like wood siding unless you get right up close and look hard.

Gary
    www.BuildItSolar.com

11. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

The only real issue with Hardieplank for installing is cutting the dust is silcon and bad for your lungs. The installer for ours said that it is easier than vinyl to put up.

12. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I'm going with a composite siding product that looks like wood and durable with a 25 year guarantee. www.canexelsiding.com

It is more expensive than vinyl and looks much better, but about the same cost a stucco.

My previous house was sided with local white cedar I had sawn up and beveled. It held a beautiful stain well over 5 years. Although I like the look ot Canelex much better. No need to stain it either.

13. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

There are tons of options. There is aluminum siding, steel siding, board and batten, plywood, T-111 (texturized plywood), wood siding (cedar mostly), log siding, masonite siding, and cement fiber shingle - just to name a few.

Whatever you do DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE External Insulation Fiber Systems (EIFS) (aka "artificial stucco), it is the most horrible stuff in the world and your house will rot from the inside out. (Insurance companies charge more for houses with EIFS).

Your builder is lazy.

I wouldn't have vinyl siding either. It is very flimsy stuff.

donsgal

14. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

I agree, your builder is just lazy.

15. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

That sounds gorgeous!!

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I agree with MT Man. We have red cedar lapsiding on our home. You can keep it looking real nice by staining it ever five years (+/-) or you can let it weather to a gray to black color. Either way, it will last a lifetime.

17. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

I lean toward froggirl's point. Cedar shingles make an attractive(subjective)and very durable wall finish. You can buy #2's, but you really need to inspect the product personally-quality varies widely from mill to mill and from sawyer to sawyer. I am curious-do they still even cut/split shingles of red cedar back east? Lost art I suppose. I have hand split a few squares of red cedar with good results, but it is not a rapid process and most folks refuse to do that sort of thing anymore....Dan

18. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

If you like the cedar shingles, I have seen on "This Old House" where they use a 4' x 4'(?) sheet of plywood that has shingles attached and that is the way they are installed, so you get that much done at once instead of attaching the shingles one at a time. You start at the bottom and work your way up, and the bottom row of shingles overlaps the sheet below. I think a homeowner could do it themselves. I don't know the manufacturer, etc., but do know they exist. I think they can even be pre-stained or pre-painted before going up. Might be worth checking into, and there may even be some kind of link on the "This Old House" website for various products they have used. I think this is a great idea and would love to use it on my house, if and when the time comes. Good luck!

MaryNY

Edited to add: I Googled for this and found they are called "panelized cedar shingles."

19. marvella

as a single woman, maintenence is a big issue. which is about the only thing vinyl has going for it.

that cedar lap siding does sound nice. i'm heading to lowe's tomorrow to get some prices. i do really like that weathered wood look. it's a big deal to me for the house to more of less blend into it's surroundings of woodland.

is it reasonably priced? another bidder on the work just left. he told me the hardie board is double the price of vinyl.

i'm not ruling anything out just yet. by building small, i hope to use the money for nice details.

this is great help y'all! thanks!

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

My grandpa used cheap slab wood on the two extended rooms attached to his cabin he put ply wood up first then felt and the slab wood he cut them so they would fit well.