Sidewinding 4 mth buck kid

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lonewolf, Sep 6, 2005.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

In the state of Liberty and Freedom I create.
    A friend of mine has a sidewinding (walks and runs at 45 degree angle, favoring right side - runs with right side on advancing side) 4 month old buck kid. Temperature is normal, has been wormed recently with herbal wormers, urine and feces are coming out normal and without difficulties. Kid has been treated with penicillin as per vet's recommendation, 5cc per day for five days. The kid also gets vitamin A, B, C, D and E through shots, gel caps squeezed into his mouth or a drench.

So far nothing has improved, but the kid acts more embarassed when he falls down and can't get up than anything. No apparent joint or muscle problems and isn't in pain. He is eating and drinking fine.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on? I've looked up everything that I can find related to goat diseases and nothing fits. The only diseases that have this as a symptom would mean that the kid would have been dead at the end of 72 hours or less if he had those diseases. This goat has had some minor stumbling/sidewinding for about a month.

Not even the vet my friend has talked to has any real idea what is going on.

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

My mother has a friend, sot of anyway she really does not like her too much because she let her goats go to rack and ruin, before she sold the ones that had not died. She had a Buck of ours, we traded for a Doe, well she let the Buck run with her heifer cow and the cow would beat the poor guy up. After a while he got the same problem that you have described, except he was about two years old. I'm sorry that I cannot tell you what happened but after she got two sets of twin boys out of him she sold them at auction. She was not a very good caretaker though, she yanked one of the babies out of the mother, 1 month later the baby died after always having been weak and a week after the baby died the mother died due to a blood clot in her brain, she then sold all the babies, except one, the Buck, and her remaining female. I would say though that it is definatly not a good thing, because with time the Buck only got worse and worse. Sorry, hopefully someone with more information will be on soon.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I had a pygmy goat diagnosed with pneumonia. early on i noticed he tended to walk towards the right. it progressed to a point where i had to walk on his right side and push him to keep him going straight. he did die after 2 days though. the vet said a brain infection from the pneumonia caused the walking in right hand circles. maybe your goat has small brain damage to the part of the brain that effects coordination? it would be the side that the goat does not favor that has the problem. if he walks towards the right, the problem would be on the left side, ect.

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

He can have permanate neurological proplems from being disbudded incorrectly, from being head butted, from not enough oxygen at birth or even from an inner ear infection. But you are correct it can't go on this long and be the first symptom of menengial worm, listerosis, polio or tetanus. Vicki

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

With my moms friends, he was fine up until about a month after she got him and it got so bad to the point where he would fall into his water trouph, and he was like that for months and months, at least 6 months. SHe did keep him with her yearling heifer cow though, and did not seem to mind that he was getting the crap knocked out of him.