sicko cats... opinions?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by comfortablynumb, Mar 6, 2005.

1. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

Ive had to shoot 2 so far as they became disoriented.
    they drool profusely, stop eating and are inactive.

I'm thinking its distemper.... as a few of them drooled a little and hid fopr a few days and now are ok.

opinions?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Poison? Any they can get into?

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Sounds like poison to me, too.

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I dont use poisons, butr there has been a few strange strays around.
    two so far have recovered, my big boy tomcat after a week was gettiing worse, to the point he couldnt eat and he didnt really look remotely well. rather than lrt him crawl off under the house to die I had to shoot him, as he had 3 very infected bites that were not clearing up (as usual) from antibiotic shots. I could tell, besides this sickness he was developing blood poisoning. (he was my boy... I hated to do it) another cat got so disorented it couldnt walk. no runs or vomiting.
    I figured poison also, but the other cats barly showed the signs and recovered, the old tom since he was fighting off the bite wounds infections I think it just ran him into the ground. I dunno why it floored the other one.
    I was going to cage him and let him fight it, but the drooling was so bad he couldnt breathe.
    the only odd factor is these 2 strays I cant catch... maybe they brought something into the cats turf?
    Ive seen this before and its killed the infected cats in a day or 2, but ive never seen it spread acorss 4 cats at the same time and kill 2 others.
    today they all seem quite recovered and fine, but they wont eat much.
    I was reading that distemper causes them not to eat and the internal pain makes them drool.
    I also read that most cats will contract it and recover quickly, young and old cats getting the fatalities.

I hate killing things...
    I cant find these symtoms in any poison reference....
    Ive seen rabies, I know it isnt rabies.

unless the got some chemo not used as a poison some bonehead is spiking food to kill rats or mice with.
    (I hate neighbors)

I'm wondering if its feline distemper if it can spred to horses?? they cats all drink out of their big bucket.

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Antifreeze poison signs:

Visit the veterinarian immediately if you notice signs of ingestion such as stupor, swaggering, weaving, listlessness, frequent urination, excess thirst or vomiting.

6. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I had ducks who behaved like that -- all of a sudden. One duckling died, the others sort of went catatonic but were okay the next morning. Since there were 2 batches of birds, and the ones affected flocked together, I figured they must've eaten some foxglove or who knows what other natural poisonous plant. Sounds like your cats have gotten poisoned -- perhaps the neighbours set out poison for rodents, and your guys got it secondhand?

Very sorry about your boy.

7. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Sounds more like a poison/toxin to me. Cat distemper is related to parvo virus in dogs and has similiar symptoms. Usually fever, vomiting, dehydration and if it lasts long enough diarrhea. Did recently see a drooling cat and it turned out to be feline leukemia. Glad to hear most of the cats are recovering.

Sarah

8. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

You should probably ask OZ about it, but sounds like distemper to me also.